Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 40 to 52 of 59
  1. #40
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    647
    Quote Originally Posted by kangaroogod View Post
    How many times do you guys see a plugged/restricted drier? Honesty I Have never come across a ll drier plugged. It makes me wonder how many times I have missed it.
    Ran into a brand new Goodman Friday with a plugged drier. It took forever to diagnose cause you can't easily check the temp drops with it inside the unit. Sad thing is we had just uncrated and hooked it all up like 30 minutes earlier.

  2. #41
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lancaster PA
    Posts
    66,803
    Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    Replaceing a filter drier inside a unit that there is nothing wrong with is adding a expense that is not needed. On a evap coil replacement i pump the system down to about 25 close it off recover the rest .

    How do you know there is nothing wrong with the LLFD. Its not like you added a access fitting to check for PD across it. Or know if it is at it saturation limit with moisture.
    Contractor locator map

    How-to-apply-for-Professional

    How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

  3. #42
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    NW AR
    Posts
    2,475
    Quote Originally Posted by kangaroogod View Post
    How many times do you guys see a plugged/restricted drier? Honesty I Have never come across a ll drier plugged. It makes me wonder how many times I have missed it.
    On residential maybe a couple times a year. Refrigeration much more often

  4. #43
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    4,512
    Do notget me wrong iam a advocate of replacing driers ,if i find a unit low charge due to a leak in evap coil and gas it up untill coil can be replaced if there is no indication of a problem with the drier i flat rate it for a pump down. If the drier is inside the unit it stays if it is in the liquid line it gets replaced and i do not add a 2nd drier. If i suspect the unit ran in a vacuum the drier gets replaced ,if it is in a vacuum i dont gas them up

  5. #44
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Houston,TX
    Posts
    11
    Just an update,after weighing everyones opinion and recomendations I pumped down the condenser leaving the original llfd and changed the evap coil.Normaly if there is a llfd outside the condenser I would have pumped down the unit removed the llfd and installed a new one at the new evaporator. Thanks for the input this is a good controversial subject like merv 6 filters vs the old fiberglass lol.

  6. #45
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Columbia, MD
    Posts
    3,384
    i have a video of a drier i just found restricted. a carrier 28ton rtu. circuit #1 had pressures of 40/600. 600psi before the drier and 250 after the drier. this was a new microchannel coil. no temp split across drier but a pressure drop of 350psi! if i wouldnt have been able to check across that drier i would have said the condenser was restricted.

  7. #46
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southeastern Pa
    Posts
    17,012
    Quote Originally Posted by carmon View Post
    I have not and will not install the drier inside.... I see no point..... i like it outside so I dont have to braze in the customers home if repairs are required..... why do manufactures install them in the condensing unit now..... who is teaching this install the drier by the coil..... i dissagree
    Inside the home is the last place I want to put a dryer.

    It belongs outside at the condenser. I replace the dryer when I open the system.
    [Avatar photo from a Florida training accident. Everyone walked away.]
    2 Tim 3:16-17

    RSES CMS, HVAC Electrical Specialist

    AOP Forum Rules:







  8. #47
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Richland, WA
    Posts
    234
    Was told in school that every time the system is opened period you replace the drier, weather it had a leak or replacing any part that the refrigerant goes thru.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #48
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    2,858
    Quote Originally Posted by gravity View Post
    i have a video of a drier i just found restricted. a carrier 28ton rtu. circuit #1 had pressures of 40/600. 600psi before the drier and 250 after the drier. this was a new microchannel coil. no temp split across drier but a pressure drop of 350psi! if i wouldnt have been able to check across that drier i would have said the condenser was restricted.
    Was the unit over charged too?
    Gary
    -----------
    http://www.oceanhvac.com
    An engineer designs what he would never work on.
    A technician works on what he would never design.

  10. #49
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Columbia, MD
    Posts
    3,384
    the unit was not overcharged. i weighed the tank when i recovered it and it was exactly what nameplate called for. only thing i can think is the suction piping and evaporator can hold more refrigerant then the microchannel condensor which is why it acted the way it did.

    i have seen regular split systems with correct charge show low suction and low hi side pressure due to restricted llfd. i have also seen units overcharged with restricted llfd which shows low suction and really high hi side. each system is different. this is where experience takes over in the field

  11. #50
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    2,858
    Quote Originally Posted by gravity View Post
    the unit was not overcharged. i weighed the tank when i recovered it and it was exactly what nameplate called for. only thing i can think is the suction piping and evaporator can hold more refrigerant then the microchannel condensor which is why it acted the way it did.

    i have seen regular split systems with correct charge show low suction and low hi side pressure due to restricted llfd. i have also seen units overcharged with restricted llfd which shows low suction and really high hi side. each system is different. this is where experience takes over in the field
    I 100% agree, we seem to have an argument about once a year about whether a liquid line restriction can cause elevated head pressure without the system being over charged. They obviously don't teach that in class so only those who have experienced it in the field can attest to it.
    Gary
    -----------
    http://www.oceanhvac.com
    An engineer designs what he would never work on.
    A technician works on what he would never design.

  12. #51
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Columbia, MD
    Posts
    3,384
    text book also teaches to take temp split across driers. i have seen only one drier in my lifetime that was dry on one side and sweating on the other. i have diagnosed all my other driers by taking a pressure difference across it.

  13. #52
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    NE wisconsin
    Posts
    392
    Our company has had a lot of 3 to 6 year old good man coils develop pin holes, Goodman rep called it formic corosion also said with r 410a so sensitive to moisture anytime the system is opened CUT out the dryer and replace it, never torch it out you would release any moisture it has trapped. Straight from the manufacturer on keeping the warrnty valid.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event