+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Filter drier question

Post Likes

Filter drier question

I am changing an evaporator coil in the morning and it has a goodman condenser which comes with a lld installed, so I usually install a lld at the evporator when changing one out so my question is do you have to remove the drier in the unit if it is not restricted? I would like to hear all thoughts on two driers in the system. Thanks

Post Likes
    Given the choice between leaving the existing drier or adding a second I'd leave the original. Here's my thoughts on why...you have a clean and dry system now so braize with a nitrogen purge then pull a 500 micron vacuum and there will be no contaminates added for a drier to pick up. Removing the drier and installing another at the evap coil only increases cost to the customer with no benefit to the system.

Post Likes
    Anytime you change an evaporator coil you need to install a new drier. Install it as close to the evaporator as you can. I would say that most likely the drier you are seeing inside the goodman condensor is a muffler. They are not the same thing.

Post Likes
    I never add a dryer on an evaporator coil change out if the condenser already has one in it unless it has no gas in it or it ran in a vacuum. I think its funny that Goodman supplies a dryer with their warranty evaporator coils but don't with their warranty compressors. I think they've got it backwards.
    Gary
    -----------
    http://www.oceanhvac.com
    The best things in life are free but not everyone is willing to pay the price.
    When you appreciate what you have, you have a lot more.

Post Likes
    If the old drier is factory installed it is going to be on the liquid line on the wrong side of the service valve if you were just going to pump the system down...your best bet is to take an empty tank and recover, cut old drier out and replace or install copper and put drier at evap coil if you prefer. only take you 30 extra mins or so

Post Likes
    I have not and will not install the drier inside.... I see no point..... i like it outside so I dont have to braze in the customers home if repairs are required..... why do manufactures install them in the condensing unit now..... who is teaching this install the drier by the coil..... i dissagree
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

Post Likes
    I assume they are pushing it harder now because installers are lazy and dont care and most salesman are trying to make every extra dollar and linesets are not getting changed out and switching between r22 and r410a. The oil from the old system is not getting properly flushed out and hoping to get the unit through warranty.

I still think that you all confusing this so called drier in the condensing unit for a muffler.

Post Likes
    changing lines is a big joke ...its copper... clean them out and move forward..... providing they are sized correctly
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

Post Likes
    Manufactures started sticking the drier inside the condensing units about 7 years ago because boneheads were not installing them at all, even though they shipped one with the unit. From what I heard the compressor mfr's were going to drop their warranty unless the AC mfr's could guarantee a drier would be used. The only way they could do that is stick it in at the factory. Some have gone back to field installed driers now.

Post Likes
    i do mostly refrigeration work.... zero driers installed by tx.... it matters not where it is...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by drife678 View Post
    I still think that you all confusing this so called drier in the condensing unit for a muffler.
    See highlighted area of attachment.
    Instead of learning the tricks of the trade, learn the trade.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rundawg View Post
    See highlighted area of attachment.
    thanks. im obviously not a goodman dealer. lol.

Post Likes
    a muffler..... really.... give us some credit.....

Post Likes
    lol sorry guys.. carrier here...

Post Likes
    carrier..... really'''''

Post Likes
    My thought on driers if it is exposed to atmosphere it needs replaced,if it stys full of refrigerant during the repair it does not need replaced

Post Likes
    Most brands of outdoor units have a factory installed LL filter drier, some also have a muffler.

Quote Originally Posted by martyinlincoln View Post
    Manufactures started sticking the drier inside the condensing units about 7 years ago because boneheads were not installing them at all, even though they shipped one with the unit. From what I heard the compressor mfr's were going to drop their warranty unless the AC mfr's could guarantee a drier would be used. The only way they could do that is stick it in at the factory. Some have gone back to field installed driers now.
    Most manufacturers have included LL filter driers in their residential outdoor units for decades.
    The manufacturers that don't factory install them have been a small minority for much longer than the 20 years I've been doing HVAC work.

Quote Originally Posted by martyinlincoln View Post
    Given the choice between leaving the existing drier or adding a second I'd leave the original. Here's my thoughts on why...you have a clean and dry system now so braize with a nitrogen purge then pull a 500 micron vacuum and there will be no contaminates added for a drier to pick up. Removing the drier and installing another at the evap coil only increases cost to the customer with no benefit to the system.
    If good practices were followed when the system was installed, and during subsequent service, you have a point.

In my part of the world, it is almost always an incorrect assumption to assume that correct practices have been followed in the past, especially if it is the system that was installed when the house was built.

Post Likes
    It sounds like there are two different arguments here.
    1 - If there is already a factory installed dryer in the condenser does it need to be changed or added to if you can pump the system down.
    2- Does it really matter if the dryer is closer to the indoor coil or condenser.

I say no to both questions with these assumptions.
    1 - There is no reason to suspect the dryer is contaminated or plugged.
    If you suspect it is contaminated then virgin refrigerant should be used any ways. In that case cut out the original dryer & install one outside the condenser.
    2 - There is no reason to suspect any trash might be in the liquid line before closing up the system. A good nitrogen purge should put your mind at rest.
    Gary
    -----------
    http://www.oceanhvac.com
    The best things in life are free but not everyone is willing to pay the price.
    When you appreciate what you have, you have a lot more.

Post Likes
    Anytime you change an evaporator coil you need to install a new drier. Install it as close to the evaporator as you can. I would say that most likely the drier you are seeing inside the goodman condensor is a muffler. They are not the same thing.
    Its not a muffler, its a drier.

No need to add an additional.

Post Likes
    Wow just as I thought everyone has a different way of looking at it. I am going to pump it down and I do not suspect contamination or a restriction in the drier. So my other thought or question in leaving the one factory installed drier has anyone installed a second ? What harm could it do? Its not restricting the flow, its a sreen with charcoal? That was my thought yet of course I have never seen two in a system.I relly appreciate all ideas and knowledge.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in