Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    lol sorry guys.. carrier here...

carrier..... really'''''
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

My thought on driers if it is exposed to atmosphere it needs replaced,if it stys full of refrigerant during the repair it does not need replaced

Quote Originally Posted by drife678 View Post
    I still think that you all confusing this so called drier in the condensing unit for a muffler.
    Most brands of outdoor units have a factory installed LL filter drier, some also have a muffler.

Quote Originally Posted by martyinlincoln View Post
    Manufactures started sticking the drier inside the condensing units about 7 years ago because boneheads were not installing them at all, even though they shipped one with the unit. From what I heard the compressor mfr's were going to drop their warranty unless the AC mfr's could guarantee a drier would be used. The only way they could do that is stick it in at the factory. Some have gone back to field installed driers now.
    Most manufacturers have included LL filter driers in their residential outdoor units for decades.
    The manufacturers that don't factory install them have been a small minority for much longer than the 20 years I've been doing HVAC work.

Quote Originally Posted by martyinlincoln View Post
    Given the choice between leaving the existing drier or adding a second I'd leave the original. Here's my thoughts on why...you have a clean and dry system now so braize with a nitrogen purge then pull a 500 micron vacuum and there will be no contaminates added for a drier to pick up. Removing the drier and installing another at the evap coil only increases cost to the customer with no benefit to the system.
    If good practices were followed when the system was installed, and during subsequent service, you have a point.

In my part of the world, it is almost always an incorrect assumption to assume that correct practices have been followed in the past, especially if it is the system that was installed when the house was built.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

It sounds like there are two different arguments here.
    1 - If there is already a factory installed dryer in the condenser does it need to be changed or added to if you can pump the system down.
    2- Does it really matter if the dryer is closer to the indoor coil or condenser.

I say no to both questions with these assumptions.
    1 - There is no reason to suspect the dryer is contaminated or plugged.
    If you suspect it is contaminated then virgin refrigerant should be used any ways. In that case cut out the original dryer & install one outside the condenser.
    2 - There is no reason to suspect any trash might be in the liquid line before closing up the system. A good nitrogen purge should put your mind at rest.
    Gary
    -----------
    http://www.oceanhvac.com
    An engineer designs what he would never work on.
    A technician works on what he would never design.

Quote Originally Posted by drife678 View Post
    Anytime you change an evaporator coil you need to install a new drier. Install it as close to the evaporator as you can. I would say that most likely the drier you are seeing inside the goodman condensor is a muffler. They are not the same thing.
    Its not a muffler, its a drier.

No need to add an additional.

Wow just as I thought everyone has a different way of looking at it. I am going to pump it down and I do not suspect contamination or a restriction in the drier. So my other thought or question in leaving the one factory installed drier has anyone installed a second ? What harm could it do? Its not restricting the flow, its a sreen with charcoal? That was my thought yet of course I have never seen two in a system.I relly appreciate all ideas and knowledge.

Look at it this way, unless you know exactly how the system was installed in terms of evacuation, you should always remove the filter/dryer inside of the system. Unless you measure the pressure drop across the filter/dryer, there is no good way to tell what condtion it is in when you open the system. It only takes a little more time, but could save you on callbacks down the road. It will also make future service in which a pumpdown is required, easier. To me not changing the filter/dryer is like doing an oil change on your car without changing the filter.
    Stuart
    Lack of airflow destroys compressors.

Quote Originally Posted by mcewans View Post
    To me not changing the filter/dryer is like doing an oil change on your car without changing the filter.

I agree.

I would recommend changing the filter/dryer as a good practice.
    I would NEVER put 2 in a system. The system wont care, it will run the same. The problem can come in down the road. When a service tech is looking for a problem, and he finds a dryer that's good, he tends to rule out the dryer - not expecting another one. Especially hidden inside a condenser or inside near the evap. If there is only one, he will look for it and find it. He may not dig to find a second until he has barked up a few wrong trees.

I prefer my filters/dryers right outside the condenser, nice and obvious.

Remember a few things -
    1. You didn't have control of the way it has been installed or serviced in the past.
    2. Don't expect to have control of the way it is serviced in the future.
    3. You may find yourself working on it again in 10 years - after Slip-Shod A/C has been working on it.

I choose to install the driers at the indoor unit. This way it is away from the weather. In 3 years from now it won't be a rusty eye sore and a possble leak. I have seen them leak from rusting so bad. Usualy when some yahoo pipes it in a flower bed.. In school I was taught to put them right before the metering devive so it can pick up any contaminants in the pipe from the install. As for it already being there I would never trust the company before me. Usually won't even trust the guy before me from my company. In this case I usually explain the extra cost to the customer and let them decide.

Quote Originally Posted by mcewans View Post
    Look at it this way, unless you know exactly how the system was installed in terms of evacuation, you should always remove the filter/dryer inside of the system. Unless you measure the pressure drop across the filter/dryer, there is no good way to tell what condtion it is in when you open the system. It only takes a little more time, but could save you on callbacks down the road. It will also make future service in which a pumpdown is required, easier. To me not changing the filter/dryer is like doing an oil change on your car without changing the filter.
    I disagree,
    If you can pump down the system then you have less chance of contamination entering the system if you leave the internal dryer alone.
    If you think the factory installed dryer is contaminated then you shouldn't reuse the refrigerant either. Changing the dryer is adding another two or four sweat joints too.
    Gary
    -----------
    http://www.oceanhvac.com
    An engineer designs what he would never work on.
    A technician works on what he would never design.

When a service tech is looking for a problem, and he finds a dryer that's good, he tends to rule out the dryer - not expecting another one.
    yeah. what he said.

I say get that old drier out and put a new one either in its place or near the condenser above the ground not touching it. I can't tell you how many time I have convinced my self of things like this. You may save 20-30 minutes but unless there is a service port before and after that drier you don't KNOW there is no restriction. Think of the problems when you have to go back and change that thing in a month or 2. Does that sound like saving 20 minutes today is worth it? If you leave it it will be the ONE you wished you had changed. Trust me and learn from my own stupidity there is no regret from doing it right.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast