Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Filter drier question

I am changing an evaporator coil in the morning and it has a goodman condenser which comes with a lld installed, so I usually install a lld at the evporator when changing one out so my question is do you have to remove the drier in the unit if it is not restricted? I would like to hear all thoughts on two driers in the system. Thanks

Given the choice between leaving the existing drier or adding a second I'd leave the original. Here's my thoughts on why...you have a clean and dry system now so braize with a nitrogen purge then pull a 500 micron vacuum and there will be no contaminates added for a drier to pick up. Removing the drier and installing another at the evap coil only increases cost to the customer with no benefit to the system.

Anytime you change an evaporator coil you need to install a new drier. Install it as close to the evaporator as you can. I would say that most likely the drier you are seeing inside the goodman condensor is a muffler. They are not the same thing.

I never add a dryer on an evaporator coil change out if the condenser already has one in it unless it has no gas in it or it ran in a vacuum. I think its funny that Goodman supplies a dryer with their warranty evaporator coils but don't with their warranty compressors. I think they've got it backwards.
    Gary
    -----------
    http://www.oceanhvac.com
    An engineer designs what he would never work on.
    A technician works on what he would never design.

If the old drier is factory installed it is going to be on the liquid line on the wrong side of the service valve if you were just going to pump the system down...your best bet is to take an empty tank and recover, cut old drier out and replace or install copper and put drier at evap coil if you prefer. only take you 30 extra mins or so

I have not and will not install the drier inside.... I see no point..... i like it outside so I dont have to braze in the customers home if repairs are required..... why do manufactures install them in the condensing unit now..... who is teaching this install the drier by the coil..... i dissagree
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

I assume they are pushing it harder now because installers are lazy and dont care and most salesman are trying to make every extra dollar and linesets are not getting changed out and switching between r22 and r410a. The oil from the old system is not getting properly flushed out and hoping to get the unit through warranty.

I still think that you all confusing this so called drier in the condensing unit for a muffler.

changing lines is a big joke ...its copper... clean them out and move forward..... providing they are sized correctly
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

Manufactures started sticking the drier inside the condensing units about 7 years ago because boneheads were not installing them at all, even though they shipped one with the unit. From what I heard the compressor mfr's were going to drop their warranty unless the AC mfr's could guarantee a drier would be used. The only way they could do that is stick it in at the factory. Some have gone back to field installed driers now.

i do mostly refrigeration work.... zero driers installed by tx.... it matters not where it is...

Quote Originally Posted by drife678 View Post
    I still think that you all confusing this so called drier in the condensing unit for a muffler.
    See highlighted area of attachment.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Instead of learning the tricks of the trade, learn the trade.

Quote Originally Posted by rundawg View Post
    See highlighted area of attachment.
    thanks. im obviously not a goodman dealer. lol.

a muffler..... really.... give us some credit.....

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast