Thread: Are New Refrigerant Lines Needed With New HP?

Post Likes
    I've been told by one contractor that it wouldn't be feasible to install new refrigerant lines with a new heat pump and air handeler and that they will use the current lines with added 'filters'.

Are there any problems with using old lines?

Post Likes
    If you are using the same freon with both units and the new unit uses the same size lines as the old one, then it is OK.
    "FIGHT CRIME: SHOOT BACK"

Post Likes
    Old and new systems both use R22. Don't know about the rest, so I'll take the contractor's word for it.

Post Likes
    I would change out the line set if your old unit failed from a bad burnout. The crud in the lines will cause the new unit to fail. Also, a lot of the older equipment have lines that are smaller than what is required for new equipment, this will cause loss of efficiency.

Post Likes
    I would go with what rclaoac said....if it was a bad burnout and you cant replace the lineset, you can try to use RX11 Flush but you have to make sure they are flushed out completely. But if the lineset is replaceable i would replace it.

Post Likes
    The old lines are run through the wall and up into the ceiling of the utility room. One contractor said there was no way to replace them without tearing up the wall and ceiling. I'm in a two story house on a slab, so the line in the ceiling is between floors.

A second contractor came back to me with a better estimate for an entry tier Puron 13 SEER HP from Carrier. I'm using Freon now, so I'm a little concerned about switching refrigerants but using the old lines.

I'm opening a different thread about the two best quotes I have so far.

Post Likes
    As long as the lineset there now matches up with what the factory specs are on the new system and they are cleaned out well, we tell our customers that it is ok to use existing linesets.

Post Likes
    can a new lineset be run on the exterior?

if the existing is properly sized, no compressor burnout, and same refrigerant. you should be ok.

but make damn sure they do a pressure test of the existing.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by billva
    can a new lineset be run on the exterior?

if the existing is properly sized, no compressor burnout, and same refrigerant. you should be ok.

but make damn sure they do a pressure test of the existing.
    I have an otherwise competitive estimate from a contractor that would use 410A with the existing lines and I currently use Freon. Is that a problem?

Post Likes
    It is not a problem as long as they use the flushing procedures laid out by the manufacturer or flush with rx11 flush kit. Lines can be cleaned good as new. But make sure that the lines are the right size for the new unit.

Post Likes
    I've read "make sure the lines are the right size for the new system" a couple of times now.

How do I know what the 'right size' is?

Post Likes
    the spec sheet will tell you. have the contractor show you the proper sizes necessary.

good luck.

Post Likes
    Did you have a compressor burnout?

Post Likes
    Originally posted by srmfsr
    Did you have a compressor burnout?
    Not yet, but the compressor is on its last legs, or so I've been told. The problem I have now is the control board is fried.

Post Likes
    Since you don't have a burnout, thhen there is no contaminants in the system. Therefore if the new unit requires the same size lines, go for it. Just let him put the filter driers in and enjoy.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in