Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Awesome, you see some of the problems 2 systems will create!

Now, you initially said you have a design for the addition. Then later you said "Many have no desire to do any detail planning until money is flowing..."

What is your design comprised of? Are you working with an architect, or is it rough sketches of your concept?

Bid Spec means you have completed designs you take to bid. You'll need an architect or engineer.

Design Build means hiring a contractor and working with them on everything. That means choosing the guy you are most confident can effectively help you realize your vision and starting the money flowing.

Either way the money needs to start flowing to get good design on paper.
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

Quote Originally Posted by tedkidd View Post
    Awesome, you see some of the problems 2 systems will create!

Now, you initially said you have a design for the addition. Then later you said "Many have no desire to do any detail planning until money is flowing..."

What is your design comprised of? Are you working with an architect, or is it rough sketches of your concept?

Bid Spec means you have completed designs you take to bid. You'll need an architect or engineer.

Design Build means hiring a contractor and working with them on everything. That means choosing the guy you are most confident can effectively help you realize your vision and starting the money flowing.

Either way the money needs to start flowing to get good design on paper.
    Well I paid a designer draw it up in cad software, and an engineer to get the engineering certified. So basically the overall plan is good to go for city permits. But that doesn't include anything about how the hvac will be done, or how the plumbing will be done... Just the structural stuff. So the one contractor wants to figure things out when he opens stuff up. Which in general I agree you can't be certain what is behind walls and floors. But he should at least have a plan based on what he expects. Like when I asked him if the hvac plan called for an additional return, he didn't know. And it has been more than a week waiting for him to talk to the hvac guy to find out what the plan is... yet he says "I know I can do it for what I priced it at". Which to me translates to, "I overcharged you soo much, there is nothing that can be hiding there that will cause me not to make a profit" Needless to say I am not liking that guy very much.

The AOP forums/Ask Our Pro's forums, are restricted to only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC can post advise, questions or commentary in a thread created by someone else. You need to apply for your vetting/* if you wish to participate in threads in the AOP forums. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.
    Last edited by beenthere; 08-21-2012 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Non Pro * Member

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123