Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

question about a leak...

I live in a very humid area and for the past few years during the summer my a/c leaks. I called the repair guy and the first time he cleaned the coils/drain pan and it seemed to help a little. I just dealt with it by putting a small towel to catch the water as it would leak out on the right side. I called this year and he tells me that my air filter is dirty (which is was not) and that once I change the filter it will stop....well it hasn't. Think I need a new repair guy? haha

I have a Goodman (5 ton) and it seems that the coils are touching the insulation on the front panel on the right side. When it turns off the water drips off the coils down the insulated panel and out at the bottom. When I take off the right side front panel the insulation is wet. The drain pan is not full. Has anyone heard of this problem? You can kind of see the water coming out in the picture below. Thank you.

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Last edited by beenthere; 08-02-2012 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Non Pro * Member

hvacstu13, this is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Your post has been deleted.
    Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

If you've identified a problem, call the tech out and see if he/she can fix it for you. Sometimes problems like these are simple fixes once identified and this wouldn't be the first time that a HO has had more time to decipher the problem than the tech can contribute.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

When is it leaking? After the system shuts off or while the system is running? You should not have a significant amount of airflow going across the front face of the coil assembly.

Quote Originally Posted by wanttosee View Post
    When is it leaking? After the system shuts off or while the system is running? You should not have a significant amount of airflow going across the front face of the coil assembly.
    I haven't opened the door while its running. I open it right after it shuts off and about 30 seconds to 1 minute later the water comes out the bottom...like in the picture.

If you would be so kind as to take several pictures and post them I believe I can point you to your problem.

Pictures I need:

1. several picture of the drain line outside the unit until it disappears.
    2. A picture of the entire unit with the front panels off so we can see the flow of air and the major components inside.
    If you're too "open" minded, your brains will fall out.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by XcelTech View Post
    If you would be so kind as to take several pictures and post them I believe I can point you to your problem.

Pictures I need:

1. several picture of the drain line outside the unit until it disappears.
    2. A picture of the entire unit with the front panels off so we can see the flow of air and the major components inside.
    Ok I'll take pictures tomorrow and upload them.

Beautiful, Philadelphia, the City of Brotherly Love!
    I would bet your coil is dirty, your hvac guy was thinking something is blocking the air flow causing condensate to blow or be sucked out of the pan around the edges of the coil.

Let me know if you would like more pictures. I didn't take off the small panel on the left because of the freon pipe. Didn't realize the flash was off for the drain pictures. At the bottom of the 2nd picture the pipe comes out then there is a elbow then its straight down like in picture 3. There is also a pan pad in the drain pan.

Did that pan inside have any water in it?

You did make sure that your Drain pipe is clear right?

So is the water filling up the pan and spilling out?

The water leaks out AFTER the blower stops running right? Not water drips out all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by wanttosee View Post
    Did that pan inside have any water in it?
    Yes but not close to being full.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolMech View Post
    You did make sure that your Drain pipe is clear right?

So is the water filling up the pan and spilling out?

The water leaks out AFTER the blower stops running right? Not water drips out all the time.
    Yes the drain pipe is clear.
    OK so I opened the door while it was running and there was no water...as soon as it shut off water came out the same corner like in the first post picture.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast