Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by KnewYork View Post
    I'm not sure how it works in Florida, but here in California an apprentice starting out in the program is not allowed to solicit work. In fact, until said apprentice turns out as a journeyman they aren't allowed to solicit. Usually what happens is a contractor makes a request for an apprentice. The apprentice is dispatched to that contractor and works for them for as long as things work out between them. During that time, the apprentice goes to school two nights a week until they have served their apprenticeship. Once complete they take a test and if they pass they turn out as a journeyman.
    I believe that has to do with the way your Local agreement is written and that California is non-R.T.W.

welcome brother

lu 533 kcmo
    I WILL SELL WORK,GENERATE BUSINESS, GO GET NEW CUSTOMERS!
    YOU SHUT THE HELL UP AND QUIT RUNNING YOUR MOUTH!

just curious?????? in the history of your local, has onybody ever NOT passed???????

I'm not sure how it works in Florida, but here in California an apprentice starting out in the program is not allowed to solicit work. In fact, until said apprentice turns out as a journeyman they aren't allowed to solicit. Usually what happens is a contractor makes a request for an apprentice. The apprentice is dispatched to that contractor and works for them for as long as things work out between them. During that time, the apprentice goes to school two nights a week until they have served their apprenticeship. Once complete they take a test and if they pass they turn out as a journeyman.
    I WILL SELL WORK,GENERATE BUSINESS, GO GET NEW CUSTOMERS!
    YOU SHUT THE HELL UP AND QUIT RUNNING YOUR MOUTH!

apprentices

I've seen a few not make it through the refrigeration program. Some start out and go into pipefitting or just don't have the intrest and either get laid off or drop out.

welcome to the UA. Local 520 here.

Congratulations ! The best of the U.A. family will always have your back !
    They saved my life when I suffered.
    Welcome Brother stay true to your U.A. brothers and sisters.
    Tom C. L.U. 21 Plumbers, Steamfitters and HVAC.

Does it mean the employer must hire apprentices from the ua local?
    ENJOY THE RIDE

Quote Originally Posted by supertek65
    just curious?????? in the history of your local, has onybody ever NOT passed???????
    Cannot answer that. I know some who have had to take the test more than once.

Quote Originally Posted by Peztoy
    Does it mean the employer must hire apprentices from the ua local?
    I believe there has been some "easing" of that requirement. In other words, they have new categories where a person with no experience can be hired, get into the union and then apply to get into the apprenticeship program. Once in the program, an apprentice isn't allowed to solicit work.

Congrats and welcome to the UA. You'll probably meet a lot of sour people but don't let them put you off. Just finished my last year of school and have about 1000 more OJT hours before I turn out. I started out at night school 2 nights a week for my first 3 years then we got switched over to a day school every 6 weeks we'd go for 4 x 10 hour days. In that time I've gotten my EPA, 410A Safety, OSHA 30, Rigging, Crane Signalman, Confined Space, Foreman, Medical Gas Installer/Brazer Certifications And Passed the UA Master HVAC Star Exam with a 94%. And hold both a Master Plumber, and Journeyman Mechanical Licenses. Just some of the things for you to look forward too.

Study Hard, Work Hard, Make Lots of Money and above all stay safe.

Brother Daniel Green, Local 441

Congrats, from local 516

In Tampa FL you have to get your own job by calling or going in and asking for a job. Siemens is the only one that said you must go thur the local when I had called them. My first union jobs I called and asked if they were hiring and they said come in for a interview.I went to interview and was hired on the spot.

IMO best answer, Call the apprentice coordinator at the local where you live. Stay true to those who are true to each other and the brotherhood will always be true to you.

Congrats.

If not covered in orientation, I would ask about the hiring / dispatch process. Every Local has it's own dispatch rules. Here in Local 170, just about every apprentice service mechanic gets their job by sending out resumes and going to job interviews. Generally, the Signatories in these parts really dislike getting some random guy for apprentice mechanic positions.
    We do it right... after lunch!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast