Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I got accepted into the UA!

I just received the good news this morning and I'm extremely excited. I've read many threads regarding people's opinions and all the pros and cons and I understand some people don't necessarily favor it but, despite all that, I'm very happy. Orientation starts on the 29th so its still another 3-4 weeks before I get more details. I really don't know what the future holds but I hope this leads to much greater things. I'll make sure I do nothing to screw this up. Sorry I just had to vent

Welcome brother!

UA local 136 here
    mikeacman

Quote Originally Posted by Jigjoe
    Sorry I just had to vent
    I thought venting was a negative thing. Sounds to me like you're excited about your future. Congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by Jigjoe View Post
    I just received the good news this morning and I'm extremely excited. I've read many threads regarding people's opinions and all the pros and cons and I understand some people don't necessarily favor it but, despite all that, I'm very happy. Orientation starts on the 29th so its still another 3-4 weeks before I get more details. I really don't know what the future holds but I hope this leads to much greater things. I'll make sure I do nothing to screw this up. Sorry I just had to vent
    what do you mean you got accepted into the UA? first you have to get a job with a company that is in the UA and then you become a UA member after probation. Or, did you get accepted to a training program in the UA?

Just don't fall for the skyhook joke
    mikeacman

Congrats and welcome man! Local 254 for me. I'm also unsure, did you get on with an employer?

Thanks guys. As far as details goes, I won't know more until the 29th which is the date of the orientation. I called in and was told I got accepted into the HVAC program, so I guess that would be the training since its only 2 days a week. Other than that, that's all I really know for now.

I'm sure some locals do things differently but, what's can I expect to happen after the orientation? Will we be given a list of contractors to apply to or how does that typically work?

There's nothing to stop you from obtaining a list of contractors in your area that are members. Then, it's just a matter of selling yourself to the employer.
    "There is no greater inequality than the equal treatment of unequals."

-Thomas Jefferson

I'm not sure how it works in Florida, but here in California an apprentice starting out in the program is not allowed to solicit work. In fact, until said apprentice turns out as a journeyman they aren't allowed to solicit. Usually what happens is a contractor makes a request for an apprentice. The apprentice is dispatched to that contractor and works for them for as long as things work out between them. During that time, the apprentice goes to school two nights a week until they have served their apprenticeship. Once complete they take a test and if they pass they turn out as a journeyman.

How does the 'on the job training' part work out? I always assumed that was part of the apprenticeship and wasn't necessarily dependent on the local that you apply to.

Basically, you get hired by a contractor and work for said contractor. You go to school at nights, study at home and if all goes well you have a job while you complete your apprenticeship. If things really go well, you turn out as a journeyman and you and your employer form a partnership that continues until you are ready to retire 25-35 years down the road. I worked the bulk of my career for one employer. (24 years)

At Local 725 in Miami, (when I went through the program back in the early 1990's) you apply for the apprenticeship program. Once you are accepted the Union then sends you out to a contractor that is looking for an apprentice.

You work a regular 40 hour work week, and when the school year starts, you go to class 2 nights a week. It's a regular school year, 2 weeks off at Christmas, mid-terms, final exams, then you're off for the summer. You continue to work, learning on the job as you go.

As an apprentice, you really don't get to choose who you work for. However, if you feel that things aren't working out where you are working, for whatever reason, you can go before the education committee and request a transfer to another shop.

Once you complete your apprenticeship and become a journeyman, you can find your own job if you want. That's what I did.

Ahh ok I see what you guys are talking about. I misunderstood at first

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast