Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AStudent View Post
    Can anyone give me feedback on this idea?

We are creating cold pockets all around the globe known as air conditioned buildings....say 1/4 of the globe was completely covered in air conditioned buildings that transfer heat from inside to outside...where does this heat go? To the other 3/4 of the globe that is left...so 3/4 of the globe not only contains the heat it would naturally have but also the heat transferred from the 1/4 that is covered in buildings PLUS the heat caused by the transfer process.
    1/4 of the globe is not covered by air conditioned buildings.

Sheet, go for a road trip.
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

"Who ARE you people? And WHAT are you doing in my SWAMP!?" Shrek

Service calls submitted after 3PM will be posted the next business day.

I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

"I am sorry for interrupting, please continue with your quarreling" Some chick on TV

I never said 1/4 of the Earth was covered in buildings....it was meant to be a "for instance" comment.

The same applies if only .1% of the land mass is covered...that .1% of heat still has to go somewhere...I only said 1/4 in order for the math to be a little more understood.

So please....instead of picking apart my post...try to comment on the main point....where does the heat go...and would it not heat another area of the planet?

I never said 1/4 of the Earth was covered in buildings....it was meant to be a "for instance" comment.

The same applies if only .1% of the land mass is covered...that .1% of heat still has to go somewhere...I only said 1/4 in order for the math to be a little more understood.

So please....instead of picking apart my post...try to comment on the main point....where does the heat go...and would it not heat another area of the planet?
    .1% of the earth is not air conditioned. Sorry.

"I am sorry for interrupting, please continue with your quarreling" Some chick on TV

I am somewhat surprised that those in our industry, do not all agree on the potential on man made global warming.

1, how do we heat our homes, we burn something!
    2, how do we keep our homes warm, we insulate!

There are two facts that are irrefutable, one fossil fuels are store energy and are dormant (until burnt in the heat cycle. CO2 has an insulating effect..

So when you burn a fossil fuel your are releasing the energy and the CO2, there for increasing the total amount of atmospheric energy.

So how can you think that this alone will not alter the environment?

What should be up for discussion is the rate of change "the predictions" and the impact the change may have.

Quote Originally Posted by barbar View Post
    I am somewhat surprised that those in our industry, do not all agree on the potential on man made global warming.

1, how do we heat our homes, we burn something!
    2, how do we keep our homes warm, we insulate!

There are two facts that are irrefutable, one fossil fuels are store energy and are dormant (until burnt in the heat cycle. CO2 has an insulating effect..

So when you burn a fossil fuel your are releasing the energy and the CO2, there for increasing the total amount of atmospheric energy.

So how can you think that this alone will not alter the environment?

What should be up for discussion is the rate of change "the predictions" and the impact the change may have.
    Some have suggested that New Zealand sheep are passing too much gas. [Co2}

Quote Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
    Prove that it isn't.
    Prove that it is.

nanny nanny boo boo.

Quote Originally Posted by Tool-Slinger View Post
    Some have suggested that New Zealand sheep are passing too much gas. [Co2}
    We can live withe sheep passing gas, because they also give some pleasure "XXX" ( a joke , aimed at ourselves)
    The concern is about cattle, and yes the Govt did try taxing "farts", but there was such a public uproar from both side of the political divide, that it never got to a vote.
    Not CO2 but Methane.!! or in my case Sulfur Dioxide
    Last edited by barbar; 08-03-2012 at 01:45 AM. Reason: beer O'clock

I think maybe taxing those sheep is a good idea. Not on gasses. but something like a 'prostitution tax'.

I would never suggest that under normal circumstances, but I think it is okay if we can 'save the world' from global warming.

Quote Originally Posted by glennac View Post
    Wow where did you get that from? You my friend are way off base, no off the planet in that statement. How about a link? This should be interesting.

Land covers only 29% of the earth's surface. The rest is covered by water. You have deserts, mountains, forrests, jungle and vast areas of frozen tundra making up the land mass.

I suspect buildings would make up a lost less than 0.1% of the land mass at best and then by deduction only 0.029% of the surface of the world. Thank you, thank you very much
    When taking heat from buildings into consideration you cannot base the percentage solely off of the amount of land mass that exists because we have many buildings that are more than one story...so technically since every story would be air conditioned it would be considered as more than one building. Not to mention we also have air conditioned buildings and boats on the water.

When taking heat from buildings into consideration you cannot base the percentage solely off of the amount of land mass that exists because we have many buildings that are more than one story...so technically since every story would be air conditioned it would be considered as more than one building. Not to mention we also have air conditioned buildings and boats on the water.
    boats on the water are like one zillionth of one percent of water coverage. Jeez. DUDE.

Your very funny DStudent. Most countries don't have ac (Africa, Asia except for Japan, South and Central America and the Caribbean, etc.) outside of hotels and resorts. And the few ac buildings in those countries are only in the cities not in the country. You have lost it my friend. Thank you very much
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

Quote Originally Posted by glennac View Post
    Your very funny DStudent. Most countries don't have ac (Africa, Asia except for Japan, South and Central America and the Caribbean, etc.) outside of hotels and resorts. And the few ac buildings in those countries are only in the cities not in the country. You have lost it my friend. Thank you very much
    AS imagines the world in the year 8923.

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    Without a repeatable experiment with the same results... there is NO scientific proof... PERIOD. Debate is not an issue. SOOOO

If the GW or CC crowd wants to say they have the backing of scientists... they need repeatable experiments with same results. No repeatable experiments with same results... the THEORY is just that; a theory with NO proof. And until there is irrefutable proof... it is nothing more than fear based politics.
    Much of science, especially in the health care end of things, we do not have experiments that we run on people to give them a disease or another but through tests and observation we seem to advance the treatment of people. Considering that they still do not know exactly how Aspirin works you would probably relegate the tiny pill to the realm of a witch doctor.

You still have not said what kind of experiment needs to be done and what needs to be controlled and what manipulated. We do have instrumentation out in space detecting the output of the Sun along with the composition of the Earth's atmosphere. We are measuring surface and ocean temperatures. How do you propose we alter one of the variables to measure the effect that the change causes?
    Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. —Mark Twain

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast