As an employer, what do you want to see in a resume and/or cover letter??? - Page 3

View Poll Results: What is most important on an HVACR resume?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Length of applicable experience

7 36.84%
  • Variety of abilities and work done

5 26.32%
  • Education, i.e. degrees, certifications, licenses

3 15.79%
  • Well-written and intriguing

1 5.26%
  • Nothing, resumes are pointless

3 15.79%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by XcelTech View Post
    Those would be good. That is an accredited program with a curriculum. I would name the certs and the grade if you were given one.
    Hmmm... I thought about putting grades next to the certifications a while back but thought it was borderline bragging since all of my grades were in the high 90's with a few 100's. Now that you say mention it XcelTech, I probably made a mistake and should have had them on there all along. An individual who received a 70 will get the certification also but it is, in my mind anyway, not equal to a 96.

PM contract

Im sure he can do Preventive Maintenance,, Than call a company when there r major issues strictly T/m. Im sure with a degree he can Google the parts and make sure there not getting ripped off.
    Ive seen this trend start a few years ago. Very large companies I will hold names but they have IPO's.

Must omit not in financial institutions,, But he has to put that piece of paper to work some how, I can tell he's Proud of it and he should be.

There putting these Daiken VRV systems in everywhere if properly installed How much can u really do on a PM there direct drive. If no leaks they dont break. They even have washable filters. Y put gauges if your getting a 20 degree difference.
    Im 100 Percent Positive this is going on in NYC no contract just T/M and a In house Jack of trades Guy. Dont get me wrong they create work with there hacks but They don't have HVAC knowledge like he does.

Either way stay away from facebook if u have any improper pics

I agree alot of these programs are not what i consider difficult to remember information. If they had a hands on test or an essay I would be a bit more lenient but straight memory shows how much effort you put in. If you can't get an 85% or higher that tells me you didn't put in much effort.
    If you're too "open" minded, your brains will fall out.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Thanks for all your help guys! All this resume talk almost made me forget that I have a job I must wake up early for.

Quote Originally Posted by caskratos View Post
    It's actually interesting you mention the maintenance thing since I am on the fence on whether or not I should go for the FDNY Refrigeration System Operating Engineer License which is needed to work in most buildings in Manhattan. The only problem is most of the buildings are maintained by Local 94 and without them, it's hard to get one of those jobs.
    Not hard if your related to one if u r go for it. I would put that license on hold till u Know your in this for the long run.
    U might get PM from this site.

Your main goal is too wake up happy every morning and have passion in what ever u do. Give it time Doors will open ,,

That means you have been paid 56 hours for work you haven't done,
    I have lost out on 128 billable hours, if I charge $100/hr I lost out on $128,000ish dollars of billable time.
    Plus the 56 hours of PTO, lets say I pay you $20/hr or $1120 for a total revenue loss of $129,120.
    128 billable hours @ $100/hr = $12,800 not 128,000. Even though I wish it was. lol.

But, your point is still very well taken. just figured i'd drop that out there.

HHAHAHAHAHA stupid commas! Thanks! It's still a lot of money if you think about that and times it for each employee you have.

No prob. This thread is helping me readjust my resume. I have a good question. I was in the laborers union for 12 years before I left to start HVAC a couple years ago. Should I include the union as an employer in my resume( I know it scares alot of potential employers) or should I just include the company that I worked for through them. I want to include this company because I was there for 8 years and have letters from every boss and 8years at a company then leaving for a positive reason looks pretty good (more $ in HVAC than a maintenance tech at apartment community. if that didnt make sense, i'm sorry, its getting late.

I wouldn't put the union unless you had been a union rep of some kind. I agree with you I would put the company you worked for through the union, and having letters from 8 supervisors is awesome.

[QUOTE]I wouldn't put the union unless you had been a union rep of some kind.[/QUOTE

Nice, Thanks for the input. I also have a letter from the mayor for my work ethic and professionalism. Should I attach these to my resume? orrrr... how do i go about showing them to an employer? Because if I was an employer I know I wouldnt want what would turn out to be a decent sized folder full of papers... My resume itself is solid. but I wanna have every advantage I can when job hunting.

I would put a section with 4 reference names and then bring copies of the letters to the interview. I would also put below each reference a line of each letter.

Bob Smith
    Mayor of Townsville
    (123) 555-1234
    "[David] shows refreshingly strong moral work ethics"

BAM!!!!

I ask, I recieve. lol. Do you sleep? yeah, me neither.

Bob Smith
    Mayor of Townsville
    (123) 555-1234
    "[David] shows refreshingly strong moral work ethics
    holy crap, you know me and my mayor? lol

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast