+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alluminum condenser coils

Post Likes
    I much prefer Goodman's small 5 millimeter copper tubing than aluminum microchannel. I'm at the beach & we have copper tubing with aluminum fins doing just fine for years. The big problem of course is the corrosion causing poor heat transfer as the units get older but its never been a problem causing leaks in the coils like microchannels are having. I also wonder what would happen if any trash got into a microchannel coil.
    Gary
    -----------
    http://www.oceanhvac.com
    The best things in life are free but not everyone is willing to pay the price.
    When you appreciate what you have, you have a lot more.

Post Likes
    I repaired one Trane 5 ton split with the alum solder kit, and replaced a 20 ton condenser coil on a brand new Carrier split. (it blew out in several places and was hopeless to fix, after one attempt failed)
    Ordering a new coil for a 5 ton+ system could be months out. Your customer could be in trouble in the middle of Summer.
    Even the salesman will admit all the larger micro channel coils fail. Good luck repairing anything other than a pinhole.

Post Likes
    Yeah, I'm concerned about cracks due to boat vibration.

Post Likes
    Make sure you add or at least offer a 10 yr part and labor warranty on the micro channel units

Post Likes
    Not a fan myself. 2 big issues, as stated, leaks and charge. You worried about trash in them. Well most have POE oil so better keep them shinny clean. As small as the passages are will not take much to junk them. That being said they will probably have to be replaced for leaks long before the ever get that dirty. Seeing them in refrigeration too.

Post Likes
    Charging is as simple as any other unit. Have had no leaks so far so cant attest to that part(other than a dry charge new in box that had been hit with something). As far as trash, the passages are bigger than the passages in a screen before an orifice, for example. Dont get trash in them. Simple.

I wish they would stick with copper too but looks like they arent going to...

Post Likes
    Haven't seen many issues, so far, with Trane but Carrier version we have a near 100% failure rate within the 3 year warranty period. Mostly on Gemini. I do have an Aquasnap in its 3rd year with no leaks so far. 14 coils, I think, on it. Does have an intermittent HP issue on Circut C but the coils seem to be holding up on it. Compared to the GX it replaced cleaning is almost a pleasure.

Post Likes
    Here's a very good cut away photo of micro-channel condenser.
    http://www.autoacforum.com/textthrea...AR_MSGDBTABLE=

This design has been used in car A/C condenser for a long time.

I don't know the advantage to having dividing bridges and have multiple channels as opposed to one flat shaped tubing. Perhaps it adds structural strength to resist ballooning under pressure.

Flat surface provides much more effective surface are for fins to attach onto. The fins on automotive A/C coil is fairly rigid while tube and fin HVAC fins are paper thin and very finely spaced such that it traps cottonwood, lint etc like a filter media.

It is resistant to galvanic corrosion as long as it is properly isolated from contact with anything conductive. Think about it. Car condenser is exposed to road salt splash, road debris and severe vibration. The aluminum parts are galvanically isolated from steel with rubber grommets and plastic stand-offs.

Car A/C is about 1.5 tons and the evaporator is the size of a letter size paper and condenser is about the size of a 26" TV screen due to space limitations.

This translates to condenser running at 30-40 F above ambient which means even though 134a is a medium pressure refr, it runs at 410A like pressures. When its 105F, condenser runs about 340psi. Despite this, car condensers usually don't leak unless a big debris hits it or you crash the car.

Stationary AC units aren't exposed to the same level of corrosive salts or vibration.

What I read is that well made elastomer seals with o-rings resists leaks better than flare fittings in less than ideal environments. So, the condenser can be fitted with automotive like bolts and o-ring and the copper line can be brazed to that fitting piece. The copper/aluminum junction can be tarred to protect from elements and if there is a galvanic corrosion it will be that fitting that needs replacement. Not the condenser.

For refrigeration applications you could use two coils and use a three way valve to choose summer only(all coils) and all year configuration (partial coil used) with minimal effect on total system charge.

Caustic and acidic chemicals will damage aluminum, but conductive(ionic) chemicals are fine as long as its not in direct contact with other metals.

Copper free construction gives modest edge against metal thieves as long as scrap aluminum value stays low enough to not attract scum bags. Obviously it would have to be marked "copper free coil" clearly.

Post Likes
    The new micro channel coils have even smaller passages than that automotive one.. There is a cuttaway of a york one at one of my wholesalers, and the passages are probably a quarter the size of the one in that picture. Just askin for problems if u ask me..

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by coolerik View Post
    The new micro channel coils have even smaller passages than that automotive one.. There is a cuttaway of a york one at one of my wholesalers, and the passages are probably a quarter the size of the one in that picture. Just askin for problems if u ask me..
    It depends on your monitor and all that, but on my screen, it definitely comes up about 4-5 times the size of the actual coil. The tube (containing multiple channels) is only 1/2 to 3/4" wide.

As someone else already said, don't get trash in there.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in