Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Alluminum condenser coils

Some a/c manufacturers have come out with "micro channel" all alluminum condenser coils. Looks similar to a auto radiator. Seen any problems with these?

Here are a couple of pics of a condenser with a new aluminum coil I was on a couple of weeks ago, not one I installed, was the 3d company out to find the leak in the system, first 2 companies couldn't find any leaks but the charge would only last 2 days, found 6 total leaks in this coil, only 1 year old. Problem I see with aluminum coils is I cant braze a leak shut in an aluminum coil, not that it would make much sense to try and fix a coil with this many leaks in it being only 1 year old anyway. (Leak on the far right actually is 2 leaks right side by side, so in the pic it looks like only 5 leaks.)
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Yes we have ,,,particularly with the early carrier coils ,,,leaks at the 22nd row from the bottom is a death sentence ...the ones I've replaced have changes in construction so I hope their supplier has figured it out ...

And do NOT use coil cleaner on these ....for any reason ....carrier has told us they approve NOTHiNG to be used on these . Water only ,and you can pressure wash if need be.
    they are a snap to clean , I worry I'll make less money in the future , I have washed a chiller with 14 of these in under 45 minutes and yes they were clean when I finished

At a Chinese restaurant and its loaded up with general tsos grease bomb of death ? I have wondered if you could use Dawn soap as a grease cutter.

But the manufactures reps still say no .

If this has changed educate me ,don't flame me
    mikeacman

They make repair kits for these ,,,, they can be alumi-brazed
    mikeacman

Coil cleaner is alleged to damage the integrity of these coils
    mikeacman

Are you talking about micro-channel or spine fin type of coils?

Quote Originally Posted by tharding54 View Post
    Are you talking about micro-channel or spine fin type of coils?
    We tried the micro-channels.

Get used to it, gaining popularity in all brands. Some are only using in RTUs, others only in residential. But likely a way to make their products cheaper to attract consumers who want the bottom priced units. Always low prices sez Wal-Mart and your friendly HVAC dealer!

We tested several from several manufactures in different applications (roof top package units, and self contained refrigeration condensers) about 2 years ago. None are still in service - they all developed leaks.

Still, No good dependable method. Hope the manufactures have a easy replacement program, with coils readly avaib!

Another issue with mirco channel coils is they are very easy to overcharge as the hold much less liquid.

You guys need to stock this on your trucks. http://durafix.com/
    I repaired two ice pick holes in a fridge last week with it. Repaired my boat prop with some and brazed a transmission bell housing with it. This stuff flows real easy and is quite a bit harder than aluminum after it cools off.
    The premise of ventilation is that the OA is clean or of sufficient quality to be used for dilution. Traditional ventilation is somewhat being threatened by the fact that the EPA is changing the requirements for outdoor air quality which is creating non-attainment zones in what is now becoming a significant portion of the country. That means that buildings in those areas will need to clean up the OA before they bring it into the building.
    www.genesisair.com
    Genesis Air Inc.

Thanks! I just ordered some.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast