Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Clearing wax from small cap tube on 134A system

I have a Bev Air prep table that waxed up its second cap tube due to 2 leaks and 2 compressor failures. It was a royal pain to replace the cap on this box and I have heard there is a tool that pumps a piece of lead wire through a cap tube with a bottle jack type thing to clear blockages. If I can get the cap clear would it make sense to size the drier up to a C-052-HH from the C-032 I put in there originally to get the rest of the wax out and change to R414B. By the way, the failed compressor was installed by others and improperly evacuated and the old drier left in so I inherited this mess. I am trying to fix this economically so we don't have to just trash a unit with a new compressor. Is there some chemical cure or some magic that can be done?

Quote Originally Posted by 1ton3800chevy View Post
    I have a Bev Air prep table that waxed up its second cap tube due to 2 leaks and 2 compressor failures. It was a royal pain to replace the cap on this box and I have heard there is a tool that pumps a piece of lead wire through a cap tube with a bottle jack type thing to clear blockages. If I can get the cap clear would it make sense to size the drier up to a C-052-HH from the C-032 I put in there originally to get the rest of the wax out and change to //////////R414B. ////////////////By the way, the failed compressor was installed by others and improperly evacuated and the old drier left in so I inherited this mess. I am trying to fix this economically so we don't have to just trash a unit with a new compressor. Is there some chemical cure or some magic that can be done?
    copeland did not list 414b for there pump

Quote Originally Posted by 1ton3800chevy View Post
    I have a Bev Air prep table that waxed up its second cap tube due to 2 leaks and 2 compressor failures. It was a royal pain to replace the cap on this box and I have heard there is a tool that pumps a piece of lead wire through a cap tube with a bottle jack type thing to clear blockages. If I can get the cap clear would it make sense to size the drier up to a C-052-HH from the C-032 I put in there originally to get the rest of the wax out and change to R414B. By the way, the failed compressor was installed by others and improperly evacuated and the old drier left in so I inherited this mess. I am trying to fix this economically so we don't have to just trash a unit with a new compressor. Is there some chemical cure or some magic that can be done?
    I think you are talking about the "cap check". I have one but i still haven't used it yet. I did fill it full of POE oil a couple weeks ago but the last restriction i had that cutting a few inches off the tube didn't fix , was a r-22unit. So it's still sitting here unused. Seems like its gonna make a oil mess anyways.

If the problem is wax, the pig will compact the wax into a solid jam. I have only had success with small pieces of debri being pushed. .03c

Would a Rx-11 flush disolve wax?
    Anyone ever try it.
    Or what about backblowing with nitrogen.
    Just some ideas

Not wax

It is my understanding there is no wax in POE oils. Suggest it is Crap from previous poor service work.

Had a similar problem. Went through about three caps on a reach in freezer. Finally got pi**ed and snatched out cap and replaced with txv and a sight glass. new driers. Unit ran about five more years until the evaporater coil started leaking. Customer ordered new box. Unit was 15 years old anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwireeferman View Post
    Suggest it is Crap from previous poor service work.
    That's a bit unkind kiwi
    Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way. Unless it's a fatal mistake, which, at least, others can learn from. Al Franken, "Oh, the Things I Know", 2002

Quote Originally Posted by meoberry View Post
    Had a similar problem. Went through about three caps on a reach in freezer. Finally got pi**ed and snatched out cap and replaced with txv and a sight glass. new driers. Unit ran about five more years until the evaporater coil started leaking. Customer ordered new box. Unit was 15 years old anyway.
    I did this as well on an old case. Installed an oversized liquid drier in the vertical down flow position, this compensates for no receiver tank. .04c

when a cap tube plugs in a system with poe oil in it i think its just smarter to change the compressor along with it. 1 reason being the compressor has seen extreme heat and 2 the oil is broken down.

its a win win for the customer and you

Quote Originally Posted by refrigekid View Post
    when a cap tube plugs in a system with poe oil in it i think its just smarter to change the compressor along with it. 1 reason being the compressor has seen extreme heat and 2 the oil is broken down.

kid, you got expensive habits.
    if you're worried about the oil, pull the compressor out, tip out the oil and pour in new stuff
    Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way. Unless it's a fatal mistake, which, at least, others can learn from. Al Franken, "Oh, the Things I Know", 2002

Quote Originally Posted by refrigekid View Post

Do you also change the compressor when you have a condenser fan motor failure? What if your condenser it matted closed? These are the same type of issues relating to compressor heating too much. Changing the compressor because of the cap tube is quite silly. Good luck......
    "Fighting Ignorance since 1973 (It’s taking longer than we thought)." The Straight Dope.

Oil change.

Quote Originally Posted by ckone180 View Post
    Do you also change the compressor when you have a condenser fan motor failure? What if your condenser it matted closed? These are the same type of issues relating to compressor heating too much. Changing the compressor because of the cap tube is quite silly. Good luck......
    I agree, pretty simple to disconnect compressor and just change the oil.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast