+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ford E-series vans...wheel prob

Post Likes
    I bet the tires are to blame for the shimmy. Load range E tires go out of round if you get more than 20k on them. Been there.

Post Likes
    Tried many tires. We now only run Michelin. With brand new tires it is not as bad ....but it gets worse as the tire dosen't wear evenly all around.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tharding54 View Post
    Here in Texas it dosen't get that cold (except when I get near my wife at bedtime)
    Brakes: 40K miles. We change our own oil(Mobile 1 synthetic) so that cost is not too bad.
    My son loves to change the oil because he then burnes it as fuel in his deuce & 1/2. He buys and refurbishes military trucks, on the side.
    Hahahahahahaha

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyPawPaw View Post
    Tried many tires. We now only run Michelin. With brand new tires it is not as bad ....but it gets worse as the tire dosen't wear evenly all around.
    I think it's time you tried a new mechanic.

Post Likes
    Ford Transit Econoline replacement.

There will also be a panel version.

If you're too "open" minded, your brains will fall out.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Post Likes
    Wow, those sprinter vans are ugly no matter who makes them, but I still want one badly because of the functionality.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by XcelTech View Post
    Ford Transit Econoline replacement.

There will also be a panel version.

I was a Tire slut for years and never seen a problem with Ford rims. I was wondering the aluminium rims that fixed it where they OEM or after market?

Who says 10 ply tires (E) go out of round that fast? So all these 18 wheelers must needs tires every week if thats the case.

I am waiting to see fords new Van If it looks like that and has the Eco Boost motor in it sign me up. Hear in Canada the sprinters Rust so badly. If i spent that type of $ on one and it rusted like I see em do I would be Mad.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    I've never had an issue with the wheels on a Ford van, but alignment has always been an issue due to how all but my current van is loaded out.
    I designed and built the shelving for the cargo area myself, and specifically set it up to have roughly even weight distribution from side to side.

Because of this, my van sit level, and on a level freeway, will continue in a straight line if I let go of the steering wheel.
    Coming up on 50k miles without needing an alignment.

Every other van I've had in the last 20 years leaned to the drivers side because most of the weight was on the same side. The lean affects the alignment of the front wheels because of how the front suspension works.
    All of them had a pull to the right, my last van would damn near make a right hand turn if I let go of the wheel...
    I was looking for the "this thread is worthless without pics" Smiley. Couldnt find it so.. Post some pics. Id like to see it.
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

Post Likes
    Can't say that I've ever had any steel wheel problems. I've run a 95' E-150 strait 6, 98' E-250 V-8e few Dodges then, 01' E-250 V-8, 05' E-350 w/ V-10, and an 08' E-350 V-8. All of the Ford vans had atleast 100K - 150K on the odometer when I turned them in. The worst problem I can recall is overheating issues with the EOD auto transmissions.

...Ron
    Roof Rat

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rscamaro View Post
    Can't say that I've ever had any steel wheel problems. I've run a 95' E-150 strait 6, 98' E-250 V-8e few Dodges then, 01' E-250 V-8, 05' E-350 w/ V-10, and an 08' E-350 V-8. All of the Ford vans had atleast 100K - 150K on the odometer when I turned them in. The worst problem I can recall is overheating issues with the EOD auto transmissions.

...Ron
    I had a 93 e350 with the inline six. Motor was not strong enough to tear up the transmission. One tough motor though I have to give it that! Towards the end of it's life it ran out of oil and I thought it was going to die. Filled it back up with rotella and it sounded great. Went to the auction block I would like to think it's out there getting cussed somewhere.
    If you have not seen the "clunk offs" on you tube the ford inline 6s were some tough birds to kill during cash for clunkers.

Post Likes
    Only thing we had go wrong was a tin can lid went thru the condenser and radiator. There is nothing behind the very large bumper and grill openings to stop anything.

Post Likes
    Unless things have changed, Ford used Firestone Accuride wheels on their truck and vans for years.

I have owned several and driven many more, with never an issue. I hope you find the root of your problem.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolMech View Post
    Hear in Canada the sprinters Rust so badly. If i spent that type of $ on one and it rusted like I see em do I would be Mad.
    We don't have the rust problems here, but most mornings my rout from my house to the freeway takes me behind the service lot of the dealership that sells most of the sprinters in my area.
    I can't help but notice the broken sprinters that get parked there tend to stick around for a few days or weeks before leaving.
    Nothing I've ever had happen to an E-250, including transmission failures, took more than a day to get fixed...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in