Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How to keep Tridium "Open"

A question for you AX guys.

In your humble opinion what should an owner / end user specify or request from an installing contractor so as not to get locked into one contractor?

thanks,

Many of the Jaces have open licenses and you will not be locked into a particular contractor if you have one of these.
    The Honeywell Vykon brand and the Distech branded Jaces are open licenses meaning that any vendors software can be used to setup the Jace. There are other features as well that can be locked down but are not in these brands. These are the ones that I am familiar with, I am sure there are others. Maybe some other guys can tell you of other brands. If you are having one installed I would also request that 'Workbench' comes embedded in the Jace. This will allow you to have access to most programming features, not all, through a browser.
    "Controls is a lifestyle not a job" -klrogers

IMO standard protocols and a platform that is capable of integrating any combination of into.

Everything else comes down to front-end desires and wants.

Specify an open NiCS.

There are two primary interactions that the NiCS addresses – the sharing of data between stations (JACEs and Supervisors) and the ability for a tool (i.e., WorkPlaceAX) to engineer a station.
    http://www.vykon.com/galleries/white_papers/NiCS.pdf

You should basically specify wildcards in all of the items below:

accept.station.in="*" - A list of brands that this local station will allow NiagaraAX data to come in from. Simply stated from a JACE perspective, "this is the list of brands that I can accept data from". The "*" is a wildcard designation to allow all brands.

accept.station.out="*" - A list of brands that this local station will allow NiagaraAX data to be shared with. Simply stated, "This is the list of brands that I can share data with".

accept.wb.in="*" - A list of brands that this station will allow to be connected to it for engineering of its application. Simply stated, "This is the list of brands that can engineer me".

accept.wb.out="*" - A list of brands that this tool is allowed to connect to and engineer. Simply stated, "This is the list of brands that I can engineer".

All three replies have very good information, one other thing I would add, more for convenience than pure "locking out" is that you are given the top level usernames/passwords for both the station and the platform. Given that together with the embedded workbench along with better than most understanding of control systems you will be able to unleash the power of the T'Box.

Kevin
    "Profit is not the legitimate purpose of business. The legitimate purpose of business is to provide a product or service that people need and do it so well that it's profitable."

James Rouse

Whoa 381 you going the T-Box route?!?

Actually this is great conversation, maybe a bit boring yet to some, but you know you can't please all...
    "How it can be considered "Open" is beyond me. Calling it "voyeur-ed" would be more accurate." pka LeroyMac, SkyIsBlue, fka Freddy-B, Mongo, IndyBlue
    BIG Government = More Dependents
    "Any 'standard' would be great if it didn't get bastardised by corporate self interest." MatrixTransform
    http://threedevilskennel.com/ - not my website.
    Versatile Hunting Dog Federation - www.vhdf.org/

Adding to dapper's reply ASI Controls also has an open Jace
    Quote Originally Posted by MatrixTransform View Post
    very soon it is you that will be pwned

If I had my way it would be all LNS but I aint the boss.

But seriously, the property management firm I work for seems to be going this route so I would like to insure the end user gets as open a solution as possible.

Honeywell WEBS defaults to:
    accept.wb.in "Webs"

Station data can be shared in/out freely, but they prefer the lock on the engineering side by default, so you have to request an open license. That's for WEBS contractors. I can't speak for the ConfortPoint brand (HW branch only), but you can imagine it's locked by default as well, and I'm not even sure if they offer the "open" version.

Also the Jenesys Jaces are open also
    Quote Originally Posted by MatrixTransform View Post
    very soon it is you that will be pwned

It seems the two that our company deals with most have Distech and Honeywell (Vycon I think)

Vykon is Tridium's in-house OEM channel. Solid support, as they have direct access to the guys on the 3rd floor who actively develop the core software.

Distech Jaces are open to, so you should be in good shape.

Regards,
    Debug69

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast