Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry

1.5 years ago I accepted a position with a rapidly growing company that had a main branch in a large metro area, a secondary branch in a somewhat smaller metro area and agreed to start a satellite office in my area. This company had two co-owners, boss #1 (my boss) and boss #2 (the big boss).

I busted my $ss for this company, gave up any assemblance of a personal life, took call for them on a week on, week off basis, and literally carried my cell phone EVERYWHERE. I have averaged over 64 hours a week this summer and broke 100 hrs on one occassion (of which the office decided to deduct 1 hour).

The idea behind hiring me was to pick up accounts in my area and help build the business. As it turned out, I was averaging almost 1,500 miles a week taking overload service calls in boss #1's area due to shortage of manpower.

About a month ago, the boss (#1) decides to open another satellite office 90 miles from us, which is about midway from his existing shop and my satellite location (I'm sure you can see where this is heading).

Last Friday morning I get called into the "new" satellite office and am told my services will no longer be needed as they are going to put all their effort into this new satellite office for a while. I was told to unload my van on the spot and was given a ride home by one of their newly hired employees.

I'm a grown man, and I understand a business decision is just that, business, but here's what really chaps my $ss..................................

1. We are a union shop, I am a dues paying member, and I lost my job to 2 non union refr techs that were just hired. I put in a call to the area business manager, and he told me that the company could do this due to a national agreement they had signed and could work these guys for up to 6 months without having them be signatory. The guy also told me that Boss #1 had called him earlier in the week to tell him that he was letting me go - WTF - A heads up would have been nice.

2. I had called Boss #1 exactly 1 week prior to my termination and told him that I had a very uneasy feeling about our satellite location. I straight up ask him if I should be looking for another job. He reassured me that everything was fine and there was nothing to worry about.

3. Boss #1 was my contact through my full 1 1/2 years of employment, and I was actually discouraged from talking to Boss #2, but when it came down to letting me go, Boss #1 didn't have the balls to tell me face to face, he made Boss #2 do it. As a matter of fact, I have yet to be able to speak with boss #1 to find out what's going on.

4. I was told by Boss #2 that the decision to let me go was based soley on financial data. I can understand this; 1,500 miles per week ain't cheap, plus the bill for travel time. Boss #2 reiterated that I was a great tech. and busted my butt for the company. He also stated that the company would gladly give me a letter of recommendation. Now, I'm hearing that Boss #1 is running around telling everybody I was let go for "issues" of which he apparently will not elaborate, but that it had nothing to do with financial data.

5. Boss #2 told me that he understands I will most likely be taking the customers in my area with me wherever I go, and he is alright with that, so I start putting in calls to these customers letting them know the circumstances and that there is no longer anyone local to take care of them. I got a phone call from the business manager of the local yesterday, telling me that my old company is aware of what I am doing and if I don't stop contacting customers and telling them there is no longer a local presence, I will be sued for DEFAMATION OF CHARACTER!

6. Boss #1 is telling other employees that my area wasn't going anywhere, and I wasn't picking up the accounts that I said I would be able to. I found it rather difficult to pick up accounts in my area when I spent the majority of the week on the road in other areas, and, when one of the customers in my area did call for service, I could never get to them in a timely manner - go figure.

I know this is a long rambling post and I need to close the book on this chapter, but let me tell ya, it sure feels good to get this off my chest.

And yes, I realize that there are at least 2 sides to every story.

I feel your pain. In fact, I can relate to your story so well ...been there/ done that.

That is exactely why when I first read your thread, I went and initiated another thread topic I have been considering for quite some time now ... "most favorable attributes of an employer".

In another thread, I mentioned that I felt I should change my screen anme to Dr. Bob, proctologist ... simply because I deal with SO MANY ... (you know whats)

The bosses I have endured, they are the very reason UNIONS were so popular for so very long in this country of ours!
    And SO NEEDED!!!

And thoe only guys here who dont apreciate unions are either employed by fine bosses, or they are so callused themselves they never care WHAT their employer says or does and they simply live with having to deal with jerks.
    Or else they opened their own shop and work pretty much a simple operation.

And I wont argue with either of those scenarios.

#1, I wish I did work for a fine employer. However, currently I do not. Back in Austin though and searching.

#2, I should get my Master's Liscense and open my own shop, again. But not today.

#3, and whenever I do work for those who have fewer character skills than are customary, I try extra hard to do as I am instructed... tow the line, get er done.

And sometimes that works out fine for awhile ... but in general, it doesnt last for long.

But this is allgreat material for the new book I am writting. In this very subject.

Working in this industry.

One time I was even fired for NOT argueing with the service manager!!!
    I simply REFUSED to make issue with him over an after hours call to a market with a frozen evap...

few days later, called into the office ... asked if I had said this and that, if I had done this or that .. and when I replied in truth as to what took place on that call ... I was told I was on my way home with a courtesy ride to unload my tools.

AUGH!!!

Cant win for losing... sometimes.

Let me tell ya - it sure makes me start to question myself. Not my ability to work hard, fix things right the first time, or to make a buck for the man, but me as a person.

I lost my business almost 2 1/2 years ago now because I trusted a person enough to bring him on as a partner and within 6 months of doing so, he buried me.

I was fired for the first time in my life about 2 years ago because I had a disagreement with the service manager (he accused me of cheating on my time card, and then wanted me to screw one of our customers by putting the time in question against an unrelated open job ticket). The following day, 3 employees were sent to my house and removed my van - before I had a chance to get my personal belongings out of it.

I was let go last Friday for "financial" reasons.

Frankly, I'm starting to wonder what it is about me, am I that hard to work with, do I have a target on my forehead, or is it just a case of unfortunate coincidence. In this day and age of having such a shortage of techs, a person shouldn't have to bounce around like this.

As was mentioned earlier, its time to look forward.

right, here! in the heartland of the homeland!

par for the course!

starting to seem normal, hearing these type of events passing around through the companies, in the trade,,
    theres good companies out there there hard too find , cause everyone holds onto them when they find them, as long as they just dont fold or close their doors.
    id still be working for my first year out ccompany , but one of the owners passed on,
    it seems i have not found a company that can compare, in every aspect,,,
    but theres been a couple that were mentionable!
    moving on,,

Okay.
    Step back & take a deep breath.

You do have marketable skills.

Just because this particular employer made a poor decision, that does not make you less marketable.

Get back in the saddle & ride.

Hey markettech, where you located?
    After finding out our second born was also a boy, my wife asked "why are you sooooooo happy" to which I replied; "2 of those things are easier to keep up with than 20,000!"

Wisconsin

Oh well, that's nowhere near me, I have had the cheese out there thou, and it's YUMMY!!LOL
    Good luck on your endevors
    After finding out our second born was also a boy, my wife asked "why are you sooooooo happy" to which I replied; "2 of those things are easier to keep up with than 20,000!"

When applying for a new job, your former employer cannot say anything that would deter the new co. from hiring you even if it's the truth. Was told this by the office on humanitarian rights. You could sue them.
    Discipline your child so that other parents don't have to.

We're awl pawthetic and kweepy and can't get giwrls. That's why we fight wobots.

Originally posted by chaard
    When applying for a new job, your former employer cannot say anything that would deter the new co. from hiring you even if it's the truth. Was told this by the office on humanitarian rights. You could sue them.
    That is not necessarily true. A lot of employers require that as a condtion of employment, the applicant sign a waver releasing the former employer from any liablilty resulting from disclosing of that information. Even if you didn't sign a waver, how would you know what the hell they were saying anyway?

I have found that nobody can boss me better than myself,thats why I'm worken on my masters and will be my own boss and if i fire myself i only have myself to blame,i hate someone tellen me what to do when they don't know sh*t and set behind a desk and not getten there hands dirty.
    There are three signs of old age.
    The first is your loss of memory,
    the other two I forget.

Same thing here, I had a service mgr " aka the jerk" mirco manage" 15 techs, he had to hire 5 handlers for us, tracked us with gps and nextell dot's.
    Had to call the office every 90 min's, started to dock time slips 10 min's here 10 min's there after a week you lost about 2 hr's off your pay.
    I kept a log for two weeks, them I had a talk with him, fired me on the spot for questioning him, now he is ramroding the other techs to pick up the slack.
    I filed unemployment and got it,It is against the law to be fired for asking question about your pay.
    I can't belive they pay that sob 75k a year for keeping moral low, and chaseing customer's away.

My venting too!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Refrigeration...Finding the Wright Wrench to pound in the correct..Screw

where exactly in wisconsin markettech?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast