Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Low ambient control

Why ? Still in box, 1997

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    What unit is this from?

Post Likes
    It's a low ambient fan control. BAYLOAM102A (Hoffman)

Post Likes
    One control probably modulates the outdoor fan. The other control is probably a freeze stat in the evaporator.

I remember seeing something one time from Trane saying the evap stat was a low ambient control. Thought it was pretty weird, guess it would work for that. Sort of.

Post Likes
    Yes they do sell the newer Low Ambient kit with the freeze Stat I think .

Post Likes
    Those settings go against what I have been taught. HeadMasters,MotorMasters operate around 95*SCT.
    The lower the head, the lower the velocity, the lower the proper atomization,the lower the rate of proper "boiling" of the larger freon droplets,the lower the oil return, the higher the chance of killing a comp,I think!

A few Res AC Mfrgs ,in their literature,show the ambients that their AC can run down to.And that doesn't quite make sense either!I think they are talking just in Res applications, not a Res AC unit running in a Commercial Application. On a 55* day ,how many Res customers need AC? Thanksgiving w/25 people? XMas? But the AC runs a lot in the Comm world w/ hi indoor loads. I'm going to call a few Guys that I've been asking Q's of for 20-25 years (Trane,Carrier,Rheem Distribtors) and ask them. Hay John!,Hay Mario!

Post Likes
    Thanks Terry. This is on a 5 ton Trane split on a zoned system split level offices. Undersized ducting, hot upstairs, cool downstairs, return on the floor, piped o.k. They've lost 4 comps in 8 years here. I get to look at it tomorrow. The fan control is unused and they wanted it incorporated. Txv coil. It'll be interesting. I Like these problems.

Post Likes
    Just the description would send me running, sounds like a never win situation.
    UA Local 32

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by buford View Post
    Just the description would send me running, sounds like a never win situation.
    Exactly. Cobbled together over the years. The Co. I work for put it in. They own the building. I asked to be next on it. Woohoooo!

10. Likes BBeerme liked this post
    Post Likes
    What is the % of the zones? ECM evap motors?
    A Good Read on this subject is by ACCA, Manual Zr. Res Zoning. Have your Boss pay for it.
    There is one hell of a thrill in being "The One" who figures it out!!!!

Post Likes
    I wondered about ECM but...it's already too noisy I was told (air noise) so I was scrapping that idea. I think there's 10 zones and I'm betting that often only three are cooling. I know how this place rolls, and it rolls on oversized, SO there's that right off the bat.

Little story.... Office building. 60 ton cooling load supposedly. Vav system. They lost 5 , 06E comps on consecutive years! Gag. They let me sit on the wall next to it for a day and monitor. Ended up isolating 2nd stage evap on both systems and running nominal 30 tons total, each system with 2 stages unloading so 6 stages total. 105f day was the only time all 6 stages ran for any length of time. Was a good lesson for me. They've run trouble free for 5 years now. Now I always think oversize immediately when approaching a variable volume system.

13. Likes Juan Madera liked this post
    Post Likes
    60t vav? Thats not a Res Zone System!!LOL! In that case,look at "Variable Air Volume Manual" by Herb Wendes,P.E. .Its a Good Read.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TechmanTerry View Post
    60t vav? Thats not a Res Zone System!!LOL! In that case,look at "Variable Air Volume Manual" by Herb Wendes,P.E. .Its a Good Read.
    Big house! Just kidding. LOL
    That was an office building it just really drove home the oversizing issue I see often.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast