Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: a problem unit

havent been on here in a week or so i was on-call and busy busy. So this customer got back into town,today i replaced the txv, the drier, charged all new refrigerant. the system symptoms are the same and didnt change anything, the compressor still over amping and pressuers the same... not good.

Did you remove the panels on the condenser and see that the coil is clear????? try misting the condenser with a water hose. Does the pressures fall into place? Has the fan/motor been changed? On most Tranes, the fan blade hub is flush with the end of the motoer shaft. Check the heat rise of the condenser. It should not be more than 10 or 12*, This realy sounds like a restricted condenser coil. Been there....done that.
    Doug

Liquid line drier

Are you sure that you don't have two liquid line driers on this unit? One is factory installed on the inside of the panel and if you aren't looking for it can be easily missed.

Have you checked the air temperature entering the condenser on all 4 sides?

Are there any obstructions that could cause the unit to recirculate its discharge air?
    Unit installed in a corner?

One of the reasons we switched from Trane to American Standard was to get away from that god awful top. It is great for keeping leaves out of the unit, but terrible for efficiency if the unit is not out in a wide open area.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

This may sound a bit unorthodox but have you tried a light water mist on the condenser to see if if that helps bring your readings more in-line. May help eliminate what it's not and help find what it is.

Sorry Gunslinger. I re-posted the water mist thing. I missed it when I read through the first time.

sounds like a fun service call. did you cut out the factory drier and install one on the outside of the unit? you may have a restricted outdoor coil. i would try blowing it out with nitrogen. make sure there are no resitrctions in the piping at the outdoor unit. make sure discharge line of compressor isnt kinked.

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    Have you checked the air temperature entering the condenser on all 4 sides?

Are there any obstructions that could cause the unit to recirculate its discharge air?
    Unit installed in a corner?

One of the reasons we switched from Trane to American Standard was to get away from that god awful top. It is great for keeping leaves out of the unit, but terrible for efficiency if the unit is not out in a wide open area.
    Yeah, i had a few of those too!! What a terrible design. I guess they were going for looks!!! Very easy to pop the top and watch the head pressure fall!

I removed both driers in the heat pump and put in a biflow drier, I've washed the coil several times, no restriction in airflow around heat pump, fan motor is good its pulling out air, amp draw normal blades balanced. And unfortunatly tranes tech support is few and far between. My supervisor is coming out with me tommorow. This one has just stumped me for sure, we'll see if we can come up with the culprit

Both *factory driers*

Remember It only acts up during the afternoon, in the morning and eairly afternoon pressures amp draws and sc/sh is normal, so the airflow restriction would make sense but I'm just not seeing it

Check the air temperature entering the outdoor coil, all 4 sides, make sure you are not getting recirculation of air at the outdoor unit.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123