Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest version of control board for Infinity

I have a Carrier Infinity Heat Pump, model 25HNA624A003, that had a second compressor put in it approximately 3 months ago. The high and low stage contactors were also replaced. I came home this evening and noticed the following errors when I heard to unit starting and stopping...

11 Events - 72 Thermal Cutout in High Stage
    4 Events - 71 Thermal Cutout in Low Stage
    3 Events - 85 Low Contactor Open

Browsing the forums, I see that the control board in the unit (version 03) could be the cause of the 71 and 72 codes. As of now, the unit has been running fine for approximately 30 minutes. However, if these errors keep occurring, I plan to have someone out to look at the unit, and if a new board is needed, it would nice to know in advance what the latest version for my model is so that I can make sure I am getting the most recent version. I see a version 15 is out, but is that correct for my model? I came across a service bulletin dated 1/3/06 that said to upgrade the board to version 10, so that does mean anything version 10 or later will work?

Thanks for the help.

Just received a System Malfunction error on the main user interface. Error is Low Contactor Open. I don't suppose this would also be related to the 03 control board?

Quote Originally Posted by transy416 View Post
    I have a Carrier Infinity Heat Pump, model 25HNA624A003, that had a second compressor put in it approximately 3 months ago. The high and low stage contactors were also replaced. I came home this evening and noticed the following errors when I heard to unit starting and stopping...

11 Events - 72 Thermal Cutout in High Stage
    4 Events - 71 Thermal Cutout in Low Stage
    3 Events - 85 Low Contactor Open

Browsing the forums, I see that the control board in the unit (version 03) could be the cause of the 71 and 72 codes. As of now, the unit has been running fine for approximately 30 minutes. However, if these errors keep occurring, I plan to have someone out to look at the unit, and if a new board is needed, it would nice to know in advance what the latest version for my model is so that I can make sure I am getting the most recent version. I see a version 15 is out, but is that correct for my model? I came across a service bulletin dated 1/3/06 that said to upgrade the board to version 10, so that does mean anything version 10 or later will work?

Thanks for the help.
    I will have to look it up, but there may be a Service Alert from Carrier. Is it a Bristol compressor? Carrier will cover parts & labor or apply a certain amount towards a new condensing unit with a new 10 year warrantee.

If you have the Bristol model number, that would help.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Find your local HVAC-Talk Contractor: http://icemeister.net/aop_map.html

Looks like your unit falls under the Carrier Service Bulletin # DSB 11-0025.

Please contact your local Carrier dealer for details.
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Quote Originally Posted by joemach View Post
    I will have to look it up, but there may be a Service Alert from Carrier. Is it a Bristol compressor? Carrier will cover parts & labor or apply a certain amount towards a new condensing unit with a new 10 year warrantee.

If you have the Bristol model number, that would help.

I will contact my local Carrier dealer in the morning.

In terms of the model number, it is a Bristol compressor model number T89A515BBCA.

When you say Carrier will cover parts and labor or apply a certain amount towards a new condensing unit with a new warranty, I take it that is because there have been problems with this model (25HNA624)???

Thanks

I also wanted to mention again that I just had the compressor replaced this past Spring. Can you tell me whether this service bulletin was in effect then, or where I might be able to view a copy of the bulletin? I really appreciate the help.

I will contact my local Carrier dealer in the morning.

In terms of the model number, it is a Bristol compressor model number T89A515BBCA.

When you say Carrier will cover parts and labor or apply a certain amount towards a new condensing unit with a new warranty, I take it that is because there have been problems with this model (25HNA624)???

Thanks
    The problem was with the Bristol compressor. I am sure that Bristol is coving at least part of it for Carrier.

I also wanted to mention again that I just had the compressor replaced this past Spring. Can you tell me whether this service bulletin was in effect then, or where I might be able to view a copy of the bulletin? I really appreciate the help.
    Your local Carrier Dealer should have a copy and be able to show it to you.

Made an appointment with local Carrier dealer for today, but unfortunately we had to cancel due to weather. Also, they didn't know anything about the bulletin and said they sent an email to Carrier, but never got a response. Hopefully they will know more about it when they do come out to assess the unit.

Made an appointment with local Carrier dealer for today, but unfortunately we had to cancel due to weather. Also, they didn't know anything about the bulletin and said they sent an email to Carrier, but never got a response. Hopefully they will know more about it when they do come out to assess the unit.
    That's not encouraging. Any Carrier/Bryant dealer worth their salt has access to HVACPartners and can get the bulletins contained therein.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

I work for a Bryant dealer. I believe the bulletin only pertains to a compressor failure. Shorted, grounded or mechanical failure.

I am pretty sure the bulletin came out longer than 3 months ago. Don't have it front of me to verify though.

How many compressors have you had, not counting the original? What were the problems?

When changing a compressor, more should be changed out, not just the contactors. Should also change Run cap, start cap, start relay, drier... Even more steps if it's a burn out.
    "I've got my Gas Mechanics license"
    "Yea, well my 16yr old daughter has her drivers license, doesn't mean she knows how to drive"

I am on my third compressor. The first one they said "shorted to ground" and that occurred about 1 year after the unit was installed. The second compressor went out earlier this year, and my understanding is that an internal mechanism had broken, preventing the compressor from reversing to go from low to high stage (or maybe visa-versa?). That said, the compressor didn't work at all, not even in low stage. So I am now on my third compressor...The contactors were replaced and new dryer installed. Nothing else was changed out. However, either the start capacitor (or maybe the run capacitor?) was changed in 2011.

A tech came out this past Friday (was supposed to come out the Fri before, but canceled due to weather). From the get-go, he suspected the problem was restricted airflow. I explained that I have had this unit since 2006 and ductwork has not change, but he remained adamant that it is an airflow issue and that the cause of prior issues was likely related (my variable speed blower also went bad Jan 2012). My system is a zoned system and he recommended installing a 14" bypass with barometric damper. I stated what I had read about the ECM motor and dampers, but he was still adamant that it was an airflow issue and that a bypass damper would not cause problems with the blower and dampers. He opened up the panel with the contactors, etc., and said everything was fine. However, he was only in there for a minute while I went inside to increase the set point of the thermostat to cause the error to occur--low contactor open. He again concluded it was an airflow issue b/c the problem occurred when the unit attempt to go from low stage to high stage. He again recommended a 14" bypass damper. Worth noting is that I have also had thermal cutouts in high stage, but no high contactor open errors. After he left I attempted to test his theory by disabling zoning. I have now only had thermal cutouts in low stage, whereas before I had them in high stage as well. I also continue to get the low contactor open error. The weather has been a little cooler, so I suspect that is why I am not getting the high stage thermal cutouts.

I called the tech today to let him know that I continue to get errors even with zoning disabled. He said he still believes it is an airflow issue and asked when the last time my indoor coil was cleaned. I responded never, but added that the last time I looked at it (which was earlier this year) it appeared clean. I use 5" pleated filters and change them at least every 6 months. He stated that my unit has been installed since 2006 and thus my coil was likely dirty, thereby restricting the airflow and causing the errors. I am happy to clean the coil, although I don't believe it needs it. I have seen dirty coils before, and mine looks great.

Could the issue be something as simple as the low stage contactor? While it was replaced just earlier this year, I read something on one of the forums (could have been this one) about defective contactors that were brand new at one point in time, and the solution was apparently discovered by someone working the counter. Could this be the cause? Also, are all these thermal cutouts hard on the compressor? I have 114 thermal cutouts in low stage and 55 in high stage. I also have one high stage no start error. There are 91 low contactor open errors. Please help.

While I am new to the trade, it all sounds electrical to me.

High and Low pressures, return air temps; wet and dry, supply air temps, Superheat and subcool readings will point out an airflow issue. All of the readings should be done in low and high stage. Although High stage would probably be most important. Those readings will tell us what's going on in the system.

I would tend to agree with you on the coil. I wouldn't think you could get 2 bad contactors.

What other error codes are you getting.
    "I've got my Gas Mechanics license"
    "Yea, well my 16yr old daughter has her drivers license, doesn't mean she knows how to drive"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast