Testing a condenser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Testing a condenser

Hello to all,
    I have a five ton Goodman R-22 condenser I pulled out and replaced with a new one last year for a customer.
    Problem: I took this unit out, stored it, but I didn't write down what was wrong with it. I did closed down the refrigerant shut off's. I don't know if it has a huge leak or a bad compressor.
    I wanted to run it to see what is wrong with it.
    I am thinking of connecting a copper loop (few feet long) between the suction and discharge lines, fill it first with nitrogen, check for leaks.
    If I find no leaks, I can run a temporary line voltage and see if the compressor will kick on.
    What do you guys thinks of my methodology?

Sounds good to me

Quote Originally Posted by jdere View Post
    I don't know if it has a huge leak or a bad compressor.
    I would OHM out the windings of the compressor first to see if they are even within limits, before I went to any more trouble.
    Instead of learning the tricks of the trade, learn the trade.

that's a good idea rundawg. I have various size used compressors and I am thinking of getting the condenser working and maybe selling it to a relative on a budget.

Quote Originally Posted by jdere View Post
    that's a good idea rundawg. I have various size used compressors and I am thinking of getting the condenser working and maybe selling it to a relative on a budget.
    Only accept CASH, GOLD, or blood.....
    Those who dance, appear insane to those who do not hear the music.
    Those who believe, appear ignorant to those who do not know God.

Sounds good

I think if you just run a wad of copper tubing out between the high and low sides you won't have to wonder about the compressor very long! Absent a metering device you'll just be shoving liquid right back into the suction side of the compressor. BANG. So much for that compressor.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Can't it just be started for a sec with the valves shut down? It's really no different than what you are doing when you close the discharge valve to pump down a system.

can't you pressure test it without the copper, just use your manifold and hoses.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Just using your guages sounds like a good idea.

If the valves are closed, aren't the fittings isolated off, along with the open lines?

Quote Originally Posted by texasgentleman2 View Post
    If the valves are closed, aren't the fittings isolated off, along with the open lines?
    Yeah. I forgot he wanted to pressure test it. I thought he had pumped down the system and was wondering if the compressor worked.

I learned a long time ago to try to never work for friends or relative's
    southshorejohn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast