Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Your second stage heat is the same as your second stage ac. Your unit is miswired.

Quote Originally Posted by markf57 View Post
    Mark:

I know this an old thread, but I wanted to follow up. I had a AS HP and VS 80% furnace installed last week. I also have an IAQ as my thermostat. My system is working great, but is always seems to be in stage 2. The W14 is not cut. Should I get my installer back out to cut W14?
    which model do you have?
    If it is the Heritage16, then yes, the w14 jumper would need to be cut.
    y1 from the thermostat and outdoor unit would also need to be run to Y2 in the furnace, and Y2 from the thermostat and outdoor unit would need to run to BK in the furnace.

If you don't have a Heritage 16, the only reason the w14 jumper would need to be cut is if you wanted to use the dehumidification function of the IAQ thermostat where it lowers the blower speed when dehumidification is needed. Some minor control wiring would need to be added in the equipment interface module, and between the module and the furnace.

I find it somewhat shocking how many people can't seem to get the control wiring correct on these things.

The w14 jumper has no effect whatsoever on heating with the gas furnace.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Mark:

I do indeed have a Heritage 16 unit.

I will call the installer out to redo things. How do you nicely tell an installer he has the wiring wrong?

He has Y on the EIM to Y on the furnace. He has Y2 on the EIM to YLO on the furnace and nothing to BLK/TWIN
    Thanks,

Mark

Confused

Mark:

I do indeed have a Heritage 16 unit.

I will call the installer out to redo things. How do you nicely tell an installer he has the wiring wrong?

He has Y on the EIM to Y on the furnace. He has Y2 on the EIM to YLO on the furnace and nothing to BLK/TWIN
    Ask him to explain the sequence of operation of your system. Then ask him to explain how it is wired, and what controls the fan speed for 1st and 2nd stage.

The installer is returning today. It looks like he just needs to move the Y2 connection from YLO on the furnace to BLK/TWIN and then cut the W14 jumper.

I must admit that I was concerned that when I tell him "some guys" on the internet told me this needs to be changed to that, he would punch me in the nose. I did find on page 5 of the Heritage 16 installers guide a note that the jumper must be cut and that Y2 must go to BK on the furnace. So I will show him that. There was a 2nd note in the same diagram that states that "The installer must jumper at the LVTB "R" to "O"". Mine is not jumpered. Does that need to be done as well?

In regards to heat from the HP. Do I understand that even though I have a 2 stage compressor on the Heritage 16 and that I have a 2 stage VS furnace, that the blower will always use the high blower setting? And that the compressor will change from stage 1 to 2 as needed, but the noise changes are so subtle that I most likely won't be able to tell when the stages change?
    Thanks,

Mark

Tstat Furnace O/D
    Y1 Y Y1

Y2 BK Y2

Cut BK jumper on board. Install jumper between R and O.

Set dip switches #5 and #6 on the furnace to ON. This will give you Comfort R Ramp profile for cooling and heating with the heat pump, but during the time the furnace is running as auxiliary or emergency heat, it will follow the IFC board on the furnace.

Make sure they go back through the ISU on the T-stat and select all appropriate selections.

Second:

Thanks for the info. I understand everything except R to O jumper. I have an IAQ and I want that to control the staging, not the board on the furnace.

You stated:

Cut BK jumper on board. Install jumper between R and O.

Set dip switches #5 and #6 on the furnace to ON. This will give you Comfort R Ramp profile for cooling and heating with the heat pump, but during the time the furnace is running as auxiliary or emergency heat, it will follow the IFC board on the furnace.
    I want the IAQ to control staging.

The R, RC, and RH are jumpered in the IAQ and appear to be connected to O, Aux and Aux2 through the IAQ. Does that satisfy the R to O jumper or does it need to be jumpered at the furnace?
    Thanks,

Mark

The IAQ does control the staging the jumper from R to O at the furnace allows the variable speed blower to give you a ramp profile. When the furnace is running in AUX. or emergency heat mode the IFC board overides the ramp profile and follows the board profile.

Lets say that it is 20 degrees outside and the heat pump says I am cold and can not keep up. The furnace says, let me help you the heat pump shuts OFF. The furnace starts it's heat cycle and the gas burner comes on and 45 seconds later the indoor blower comes on and distributes the hot air to the house and when the thermostat says ok I am warm enough the gas burner shuts down and the fan continues to blow to remove the residual heat from the heat exchanger. This timing is adjustable on the board with dip switches SW2 and SW3.

SW1 should be set to "0"

Quote Originally Posted by second opinion View Post
    This timing is adjustable on the board with dip switches SW2 and SW3.
    The installer left these to the default setting of 100 seconds. I see no reason to change them.

SW1 should be set to "0"
    You always add a zinger! Where the heck is SW1 and is "0" on or off?
    Thanks,

Mark

Unhappy

The installer left these to the default setting of 100 seconds. I see no reason to change them.

You always add a zinger! Where the heck is SW1 and is "0" on or off?
    Ignore Board revision! "My BAD"

If O from the outdoor unit and the thermostat are connected to O on the furnace control board, no jumper should be between the 2, or your heat pump will be stuck in the cooling mode.

Ideally, O from the thermostat should connect directly to O to the outdoor unit, without connecting to the furnace control board. In that case, you would need a jumper between R and O on the board.
    Jumpering between Y2 on the board(1st stage compressor) and O would accomplish the same thing as R to O.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    If O from the outdoor unit and the thermostat are connected to O on the furnace control board, no jumper should be between the 2, or your heat pump will be stuck in the cooling mode.

Ideally, O from the thermostat should connect directly to O to the outdoor unit, without connecting to the furnace control board. In that case, you would need a jumper between R and O on the board.
    Jumpering between Y2 on the board(1st stage compressor) and O would accomplish the same thing as R to O.
    You might want to edit ( ) to 2nd

The installer returned today and made these changes:

Tstat Furnace O/D
    Y1 Y Y1

Y2 BK Y2
    Set dip switches #5 and #6 on the furnace to ON
    Cut BK jumper on board.

This got the Comfort-r working in cooling mode.

However, when he installed a jumper between R and O, the HP delivered cold air when heating from the HP was called. This is just as mark beiser predicted would happen. He is at a loss how to get Comfort-r in HP heating mode. The bald one says he did it.
    Thanks,

Mark

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast