Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    You're right mark, you can hardly hear the unloader shift, and there's little to no difference in amp draw correct?
    "If you can't fix it, don't break it."

jesus ! sounds like another hacked system & a homeowner monkying with it.im curious was this company the highest , middle or lowest bid for the same job ?
    The Captain.

I have been doing this a long time, but maybe I am confused here....everyone says that you can not tell if the outside unit is in stage 1 or 2 cooling by the sound....I have just worked on one that was just installed recently and it has a variable speed condenser fan motor....you can definantly hear the difference and the slow speed up of the fan motor. I just went to Tranes web site and looked again to make sure, and they even advertise this feature for the XL16i condenser unit. Although I am a seasoned vet at this, I try to learn something new all the time....teach me guys. Why was this one obvious about the change over? I know the compressor can not be heard changing, but the fan could.

The fan doesn't change speeds on the XL16i when it changes between 1st and 2nd stage. The control voltage to signal the ECM module on the motor to turn on is from the 1st stage call. Y2 to the outdoor unit only energizes the solenoid in the compressor. The fan motor doesn't know what stage the unit is running in.
    The XL19i does use a different outdoor fan speed for 1st and 2nd stage though.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

hmmm...I must have thought it was a 16 but in fact it was a 19 then....my mistake. It certainly had different speeds for the motor.

I believe on the XL16i the fan motor ramps up and down based on head pressure, no?

To an untrained ear, the unit makes "no noise". The fan doesn't ramp. Of course if I listen carefully I can hear it, but Joe Homeowner can't.

Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun.

Originally posted by dougfamous
    I believe on the XL16i the fan motor ramps up and down based on head pressure, no?
    Nope, its on or its off, thats it.
    It will ramp up some to maintain airflow as the condensor coil gets dirty.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Originally posted by captainrat
    jesus ! sounds like another hacked system & a homeowner monkying with it.im curious was this company the highest , middle or lowest bid for the same job ?

Actually NO, I made the responsible decision to check with this resource to make sure I was right BEFORE having the tech come out and take a look. I didn't mess with anything but my suspicions were right. It isn't that I "monkeyed" with anything. It is setup wrong and should be fixed.

Why must it be so difficult to KNOW what your XL16i is doing???
    I believe TRANE was extremely NEGLIGENT in not providing a failsafe method for determining what stage your unit is running in.

Otherwise, why even bother to purchase a 2 stage unit if you cant tell what it is doing??????

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    There should be a 20% difference in airflow through the indoor unit between 1st and 2nd stage.

I have installed and serviced quite a few XL16i systems, but couldn't walk up to one and tell you what stage it is in just from the sound because the compressor RPM doesn't change. You can only just barely hear a change when it shifts.
    Even with gauges hooked up to the system there is only a relativly small change in pressures when when it shifts from one stage to another.

One thing that I think is relativly common is that the installers wire the control wiring correctly, but forget to cut the W14 jumper on the furnace control board.
    If the W14 jumper is not cut, the system will only operate in 2nd stage, regardless of the thermostat calls.
    Mark:

I know this an old thread, but I wanted to follow up. I had a AS HP and VS 80% furnace installed last week. I also have an IAQ as my thermostat. My system is working great, but is always seems to be in stage 2. The W14 is not cut. Should I get my installer back out to cut W14?
    Thanks,

Mark

This is one of the major problem that installers and sales people have is how the 16i functions. Most 16i's are miswired when people try to use the IAQ stat with it.

Yes the Bk jumper on the board needs to be cut. Y2 for second stage is wired to the BK terminal on the board. If the BK jumper is not cut it will feed 24 volts to the VS blower and cause it to run at 100%. Whe the Tstat called for first stage you would not get the 80% required for first stage.

So what should the average consumer (Me) look to see if the unit has been installed properly when I don't think the installer has installed it properly. It was their first install with the Var Speed and multi stage units.

Quote Originally Posted by second opinion View Post
    This is one of the major problem that installers and sales people have is how the 16i functions. Most 16i's are miswired when people try to use the IAQ stat with it.

Yes the Bk jumper on the board needs to be cut. Y2 for second stage is wired to the BK terminal on the board. If the BK jumper is not cut it will feed 24 volts to the VS blower and cause it to run at 100%. Whe the Tstat called for first stage you would not get the 80% required for first stage.
    Thanks for the reply. However, you confused me more. First, I was referring to my heat stage appears to be in 2nd stage all the time, not cooling. Second, I don't have anything connect to my Bk on the furnace board. And when I look in the Service facts, I don't see any combination that uses the Bk.
    Thanks,

Mark

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast