Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    I recently had my installer put in a 4 ton Trane XL16i with a matching variable speed furnace (XL90) and air handler for my first floor and a similar setup with a 3 ton AC for my second floor.

How can I determine if the 2nd stage of the XL16 is operating correctly? The feel of the vents and sound of the unit do not appear to change after the thermostat shows the indicator change for stage 2.

The dip switches appear to be set correctly after I changed it from 3.5 ton to 4 ton for the first floor.

Any tips before I have the tech come back out??

smiddleton

Good question.I am interested in the answer myself. I assume like many homeowners, you are not comfortable around electricity and using an ampmeter. If true, you should be able to distinguish a sound difference between low stg and high stg outside at the condenser. Plus you should be able to see a difference in the revolution of your electric meter. Perhaps there is an easier method to the average homeowner.

Having said that, the XL16i must be paired with a var speed air handler or furnace. The XL90 is not var speed but the XV90 is var speed. You might check this. I can't believe a Trane dealer though would make a mistake like this.

IMO

I've worked on Trane for quite a few years, but I'm confused about your statement "variable speed furnace (XL90) and air handler". Those are 2 completely different pieces of equipment. tigerdunes is correct though, the XL90 is not variable speed. In addition to the indoor unit needing to be variable speed, the thermostat needs to be programed (or set) for 2 stage cool. Call a tech and have him make sure the stat is set properly.
    "If you can't fix it, don't break it."

I wrote the wrong model, it is the XV90 not the XL90.
    Do you think it may be the jumpers??

So there is no way to test the 2nd stage without calling out the tech again?

smiddleton wrote:
    >So there is no way to test the 2nd stage without calling out the tech again?

sure there is. access thermo setup menu and ensure system type is 2-stage heat pump. what is the setup for stage-1 vs. stage-2 differential? lower setpoint down below that value, ie. 3 degrees, and stage-2 will come on immediately.

the thermostat indicates that it is calling for stage 2 cooling but the air vents and the sound of the AC unit do not change. I was expecting a change in sound from the unit and more airflow, etc on stage 2. It appears that nothing changes from stage 1 to stage 2.

The xl16i uses a two stage scroll that does not change speeds. The sound at the outdoor unit shouldn't change. I would think the only difference you should detect is an increase in indoor fan speed and increased air flow.

There should be a 20% difference in airflow through the indoor unit between 1st and 2nd stage.

I have installed and serviced quite a few XL16i systems, but couldn't walk up to one and tell you what stage it is in just from the sound because the compressor RPM doesn't change. You can only just barely hear a change when it shifts.
    Even with gauges hooked up to the system there is only a relativly small change in pressures when when it shifts from one stage to another.

One thing that I think is relativly common is that the installers wire the control wiring correctly, but forget to cut the W14 jumper on the furnace control board.
    If the W14 jumper is not cut, the system will only operate in 2nd stage, regardless of the thermostat calls.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

I did see the jumper wire is NOT cut so that is probably the issue.

Is it normal to have the unit's dip switches set for a 3.5 ton unit when I have a 4 ton XL16i ?

Originally posted by smiddleton
    I did see the jumper wire is NOT cut so that is probably the issue.

Is it normal to have the unit's dip switches set for a 3.5 ton unit when I have a 4 ton XL16i ?
    The W14 jumper definatly needs to be cut, and the dip switches correctly set for a 4 ton system.

Since it seems you are looking at this yourself, how is the control wiring connected?
    The wire from Y1 from the thermostat needs to be connected to Y/Y2 on the furnace control board and Y2 from the thermostat needs to be connected to BK on the control board. There also needs to be a jumper wire between R and 0 on the board if it is not a heat pump.

I will check that but I really wanted to make sure I was right before I called in the tech and put my foot in my mouth but it appears that it is set wrong. Even the dip switches are set for a 3.5ton unit while I have a 4 ton.

I had a callback on one already because the guy couldn't hear the outdoor unit switching speeds. On these units, the compressor has a solenoid inside it that opens or closes to control capacity. A properly installed unit makes no noise outside when it switches stages.

Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun.

I wouldn't say it makes "no noise". You can just barely hear the solenoid pull in, and a very subtle change of tone from the compressor if you listen closely.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast