Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks weeb, great idea, was cooler in house on freeze day and will check indoor fan and orfice. I suspected I may have overcharged to get SH up.

Quote Originally Posted by WeebMan View Post
    Superheat is indoor return wetbulb/condensor entering air drybulb.

You said your numbers were taken the day after it froze up. Was it much cooler in the house the day it froze? That little bit of sh could be gone with a cooler house.

Subcool is so high because there is too much refrigerant in the system and the resfriction is making the refrigerant move slower. Longer times spent chilling in the condensor means cooler liquid leaving the coil which gives you a high subcool. SH is still in range because the extra pressure developed by the over charge is pushing through the restriction and allowing the system to cool. Even though its having to work harder to do so.
    Now that is the kind of explanation I have been seeking. Thanks very much for taking time to explain!

Quote Originally Posted by thecarpenter View Post
    Thanks weeb, great idea, was cooler in house on freeze day and will check indoor fan and orfice. I suspected I may have overcharged to get SH up.
    Overcharge brings superheat down. Refrigerant remains saturated longer in the evap coil with less time to pick up heat after completely changing to a vapor. Under charge(or proper charge and a restriction) causes higher super heat. Refrigerant changes to a vapor in the beginning of the evaporator coil and picks up superheat the entire way anf back to the condensor.

ok, you are making my day Weeb!!!, its one thing to go through the procedure, but to know WHY and WHAT is really happening.. some here want to give a man a fish, you are teaching me to fish, thanks

No worries. ^_^

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12