Hanging by a thread

I don't have a picture of the original wires before I "fixed" it, but here's how our 31 year old Rheem shaft-down condenser fan motor looked a few years after I replaced four completely rusted out wires -- in which two opposing ones were snapped off when I first saw it. Are these old Rheem units usually secured in this fashion? I'm pretty confident in thinking this is Wall of Shame material.

The motor has since died a slow and painful death, of which I replaced it just recently (still suspended by wire). The old fan and motor appear to be the original, based on how crusty the hub looks. Using a Dremel to sand the scale off, I could not possibly get the fan blade assembly off; it literally looks to be fused to the shaft! I admitted defeat and got a new fan blade assembly. Does this fan blade assembly even look salvageable? Would you try to take it off, or not even bother? (I frankly don't care at this point, but am wondering what the "difficulty rating" of this ugly thing would be to someone more experienced)

This whole ordeal unfortunately took three days to complete between the ordering of parts for next day delivery, and then having to scramble to find a new fan blade assembly after trying (and failing) to take the old one off. In hindsight, I think I would have been better off paying someone to have gotten it fixed sooner.

You are correct.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

If it weren't for the added pressure of the heat advisory during the week, I would have enjoyed this endeavor a bit more (not so much tackling the fan blade).

And the reason you're posting at this site is??????

Quote Originally Posted by wahoo View Post
    And the reason you're posting at this site is??????
    For my enjoyment.

Quote Originally Posted by wanttosee View Post
    For my enjoyment.
    Indeed. I contemplated throwing this in the Wall of Shame section instead, but figured I might cram in some questions that anyone might care to answer. Moderators can feel free to move it elsewhere if they see fit.

I always try to change condenser fan motors and blades at the same time. Over the years, fan blades can go out of balance, even if by a little bit. In my early days I would wrestle with rust bucket blades, thinking I was doing the customer a favor by reusing his old crap, only to learn as I went along that the original blade likely contributed to the motor failure in the first place.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.