Clearing Slow Condensate Line

I have a slow (but running) condensate line. I've sucked it out with a shop-vac, and had an A/C tech blow it out. However, each time it works for about a month, then completely stops up.

I'm starting to pour some bleach/water down it for the next few days to try and open it up more, but is there something better? I'm sure it's full of sludge, and only has a tiny hole where the water gets through.

This is a 3/4" PVC condensate run from the attic into the basement... has some 90 degree turns, etc... so I don't think I can snake it mechanically. When I pour a gallon or so down the drain, it takes 10 minutes or more to drain out (to the basement).

Thoughts? (I was considering foaming/gel types of liquid plumbr... but always heard never use that stuff.)

If its somewhere you can get a hose to and can get a little wet use one of those expanding pressure adapters. Goes on end of hose and stick it in pipe. Expands so you get pressure build up until clog breaks. Had to do this on a freezer drain line. Had a 6ft long 1in diameter piece of sludge come out. Needless to say it was disgusting.

Thanks!

Thanks for the suggestion. It would be very hard to get a hose up there so I'm hoping for another option... but unfortunately, don't know what that would be.

Thanks for your help!
    Dan

Pvc is so cheap its almost more cost effective to rebuild the whole drain line.

I considered running a new PVC line, but running it from the attic and down two floors, I am concerned it's not a straight shot. If there are turns I'll be cutting into drywall, etc... seems like more than I want to do if I can avoid it!

Its a water weenie that goes on hose end. They work pretty good, untill it clogs again.

Quote Originally Posted by Joehvac25 View Post
    Its a water weenie that goes on hose end.
    We all have a name for it but you are getting a little personal!!! LMAO!!

Quote Originally Posted by danrckville View Post
    I have a slow (but running) condensate line. I've sucked it out with a shop-vac, and had an A/C tech blow it out. However, each time it works for about a month, then completely stops up.

I'm starting to pour some bleach/water down it for the next few days to try and open it up more, but is there something better? I'm sure it's full of sludge, and only has a tiny hole where the water gets through.

This is a 3/4" PVC condensate run from the attic into the basement... has some 90 degree turns, etc... so I don't think I can snake it mechanically. When I pour a gallon or so down the drain, it takes 10 minutes or more to drain out (to the basement).

Thoughts? (I was considering foaming/gel types of liquid plumbr... but always heard never use that stuff.)
    Atach the shop vac while pouring hot water into line, the velocity of the vac will accelerate the slime.

Thanks!

Thanks... I'll give that a try. I guess no one is saying I can use liquid plumbr or build up remover then right?

Sounds like the drain has a trap in it somewhere that it's not supposed to have, giving the sludge a place to build up. May be worth the effort to find the low spot and repitch the drain to prevent future problems if you can access it. Never tried Liquid Plumr or similar products in a condensate drain and probably wouldn't recommend it. Bleach should work over time and hot water helps to loosen everything a little easier.

Trap?

There is definitely a trap, but I think it's supposed to be there. Do you mean you think there could be a second trap somewhere?

I will certainly try hot water... I've been using cold. Hot makes a lot of sense to me... thanks for the suggestion!

Dan

I can not believe your drain is clogging up every month.What my be the case is the drain is improperly installed,and when the tech works on it he creates a syphoning effect for a short time.

Interesting

Interesting, I hadn't thought of that.

If that happens though, wouldn't no water come out at the drain end? I definitely see water coming out... but it's a trickle. Even when I pour in a gallon, it still trickles out at the other end. The drain is long since it's from the attic to the basement (2 stories).

What could I do to check for a siphoning effect (or is my assumption that water coming out the other end means there isn't that effect)?

I think the monthly clog is because everytime it's unclogged there is just a tiny opening made in the sludge. (either the blown through or vacuumed out)... I don't think the line is ever truly "clear".

Thanks for your answer!