Moving to Long Beach NY and need help with the job search!

I will be moving to Long Beach in October with the brand new wife at that point. I currently live in NE PA and have almost 9 years experience as a service tech. I have worked for a company that did Verizon Wireless cell towers and data centers, a residential company, a university, and a commercial company that will take on anything. I would consider my experience as a "jack of all, master of none". I've been on the road for all but 1 year and would like to come back off the road with a 9-5 with no on call. Is anyone out there familiar with the job market in the area that may be able to help with the search? I'm sure most of you know the internet is not the place to look for an HVAC job as those companies usually have the revolving door of employees. Any help would be most greatly appreciated!

back OFF the road and no on call?are you looking for an office position with 9yrs experience?i'll tell you one thing you better get a map on the metro area and one definitly of Manhattan cause that is where you'll be working if your looking for a tech position.if you only want to work Nassau/Suffolk county out here then your hourly rate is going to take a hit..downward.Air Stream/Plainview is looking for guys and they are 638B union shop...Pam Air Conditioning/Long beach Park Ave right there in LB also looking.with Air Stream you will be in Midtown 40hrs a week.most companies based in Nassau County work in NYC..check them out also go to www.thebluebook.com type in airconditioning select NY...search... then hit contractors(***) total number it will list all the companies and websites and contact info..
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Px5YcOeQB4I

Thanks for the info! When you say these companies work in Manhattan are you driving in every day or using mass transit?

all the companies will supply a truck that you take home but the jobs will be in th city and rolling into them 8AM some shops start at 7AM...the doing national accounts in malls they try to tweek you to start at 10AM so your not sitting for 2 hours waiting on gates going up.so what was with that no "on call" are you looking for inside or outside jobs...career builders has both the companies i gave you just type in air conditioning and do new york,NY for location.might also try Apollo over in Deer Park they do a ton of LI work minimal in NYC...but some
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Px5YcOeQB4I

Maxter,

I have been looking on the websites that you suggested and am slightly dissappointed by salaries offered. I make more than many here in NE PA! I woud love an inside 8 hr/day job but just can't seem to find something. I know very little about the NY unions but really don't want to join one as an apprentice. I know it's always better to have "your ear to the ground" and know people who work in places you would like to be, but are these the jobs I am looking at applying to until I find what I want? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. I'm moving in 3 weeks and starting to kind of freak out!