Confused Bard wall mount heat pump

I am fairly new to the trade and have never worked on one of these before. I got a service call that the condenser fan was not working. I replaced the fan motor and also the capacitor. When I test ran the unit in heating mode, everything worked properly. When I switched it to cooling mode is when I had problems. The compresser and indoor fan work fine but the condenser fan does not come on causing the compresser to shut off on high head pressure. This unit is old and there is no wiring diagram to go off of. Anybody have any ideas what could be causing this? Thanks!

I would start here...
    Call and see if you can get a diagram...

bard@bardhvac.com

Customer Service
    Customer Telephone: 419.636.1194
    Customer Service Fax: 419.636.6692

Technical Service
    Technical Service: 419.636.0439
    Technical Service Fax:419.636.4744

Obviously something is going on....wish I could help but have never seen a bard heat pump.
    I do however take care of one that is mounted to an MCC room .
    That unit is straight cool ...it had some crazy controls in it for what it was ....i gutted it down to a contactor ,time delay ,transformer etc and lost the lockout boards and random start timer etc... Cause this units needs to run even if it cycles on the safeties .

its a long story but had a lot of nuisance lockouts that no one could catch so in a fit of rage I gutted it and 4 years later and a monthly coil cleaning it has NEVER stopped...
    mikeacman

You say your green ....

That's great , now is the time to learn where to find your answers

NO one is born knowing this ,and no one knows it all. If they say they do run away...

There is nothing wrong with equipment manuals , books an calling maufactuers for help .

I refer to one of those on a daily basis.
    mikeacman

Thirdly , it sounds as this may have condensor fan cycling for ac operation,,, does it still work in heat?

If so trace the wires back , look for them to pass thru a relay in addition to the defrost relay , and look for a pressure switch on the high side ,
    fan cycling on a heat pump is accomplished differently then on a straight cool unit . You still need a pressure switch or other type IE , modulating fan control using a thermister, and a relay to bypass said pressure switch when in heating mode which allows outdoor fan to run all the time in heating except for defrost. In cooling mode the relay is switched allowing the pressure switch to take control of the fan .
    although if factory installed all this minus the pressure switch may be incorporated into a board...
    mikeacman

Is there a fan cycle control on this unit?