Question

I am replacing a 15 year old air handler. I have a 2 ton Trane outdoor unit and will be replacing a Trane air handler. I have received estimates for both Trane and Goodman variable speed air handlers. Can anyone advise as to whether these two are comparable as far as reliability, maintenance, repair, etc. Of the the 4 estimates I've gotten the contractor that I am most comfortable with is recommending the Goodman.

Do you also have a 15 yr old outdoor unit? You really want a matched set....either a new Goodman A/H with a new Goodman condenser, or a Trane a/h matched to existing condenser.If the contractor you're most comfortable with is recommending a mismatch, make some more phonecalls.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Thank you for the quick reply. The outdoor unit was replaced two years ago, but I guess you are recommending to not mix manufacturing parts regardless?

What is the make and model of the outdoor unit?
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Correct. Get a matching airhandler.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

The outdoor unit is a Trane 2 ton. That is all I can tell you right now, as it is at another residence.

For best efficiency, stay with an A-S/Trane air handler. All of them now are TXV meters which means a hard start kit will have to be added to the outdoor unit unless it already has one. We can tell when you post the model #.

Years down the road you will be better off with the Trane over the Goodman....to start with they both would appear the same. Personal opinion, stick with the Trane.

Only because the outdoor unit is a Trane; you should use a compatible Trane air handler. If the outdoor unit were a Goodman, the best thing to install indoors would be a matching Goodman air handler. Neither brand does anything better then the other.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV