Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Angry

Hello - I am at wits end on this subject, HELP.

Here's the deal, we live in SW Florida, temps are hot/humidity high, but we keep the system "in-line" if you will, 73 at night, 75 day, don't stress it too much, changing a quality Dirt Devil Filter almost once every two weeks, so...

Our home is 2500 sq ft/ranch/1 story, built in 1998. A client/friend/AC Professional looked at my system August '05 and we both agreed the 3.5 ton A/H was not working great, keeping temp low, etc. So we installed a new TRANE, I believe the new A/H is a 4ton, can't be sure since my client/friend/AC Pro., has since moved (last month, lucky me). We DID NOT upgrade the condenser unit as my friend thought it did not need a new unit.

The price was good, and the unit seemed to be working well, though lost freon in May '06 and that was corrected quickly. So...

About one month ago I arrived home from work to find a puddle underneath the AH in the garage. As I gazed at the unit, I noticed water/sweat on the underside of the cabinet. My friend/AC Pro did NOT install a "drain pan" for whatever reason, though there used to be a drain pan on the older unit (draining out of the garage/side of house). Then, soon after I noticed the puddle, the water just started to become worse. The next day a "stream" of water from the unit, I have placed a 40gallon garbage can under the unit and it fills with water EVERY DAY.

The unit is working well, NO PROBLEMS, temps are nice and cool in the house but between working, family, life, etc., the unit has been "checked" by another (not Trane)and I'm unsure what to do.

The first AC pro inspected the unit in May '06 and it was NOT sweating at all, this just started the beginning of the month AUG (usually the hottest month in Florida mind you). The second AC pro came by last week, and the good ol' boy he was wanted to replace my condenser, cut-in two new returns in our house (up north we had a return in every room, here ONE RETURN IN THE ENTIRE 2500sq ft. HOUSE, WOW) and add a drain pan, $3000+. He told me, not very convincingly "you got a 4TON A/H and a 3.5TON CONDENSER, your TRANE A/H is starved for air and the coil is so cold and not enough warm air from the house passing by that it hates your 100+ degree garage, sweats, and then leaks all over your garage." "Soon" he said "you'll have mold and mildew in your A/H Cabinet and the parts will all start to rust, careful fella."

I am suspicious the A/H has never sweated this badly before and this month, August, it Florida's HOTTEST and it's draining several gallons of water per day. Three Techs have been here when it's not been sweating and none of the three told me we needed new Returns or a new Condenser, etc. HELP.

I can barely walk in our garage, the garbage cans help, but the developing mildew/mold scares me to death, the unit rusting scares me almost as much, HELP HELP HELP.

Thanks be to you for any and all help you may be able to provide. I would think a drain pan/PVC outside drain, more returns (?) is a first start. I also, have STOPPED using, for this month, the Dirt Devil air filters and LEFT OPEN the return with NO filter as the last AC Pro told me the unit was "starved for air" and very good/HEPA filters may be hurting the matter by not allowing much air flow.

Have a terrific weekend.

Worried in Florida...

did they try to clear your drain?/

There is no drain pan yet installed. Unsure why the new friend/AC Pro installed the New Trane A/H without a drain pan, is that what you mean?

I will ask the NEW TECH to install a drain pan THIS WEEK and drain all water outside, but four+ gallons of water a day, is this normal - and the entire underside of the TRANE A/H sweating with beads of water dripping/dropping?

IS THIS AMOUNT OF WATER normal sweat/summer/per day? Let me know, thanks.

you have a drain inside of a a/c
    it comes with a main drain pan from the factory and you install a secondary drain pan usely when your unit is laying down in the attic

yes it is normal comming out of the drain

yes there is, find the condensate drain line suck it out with a shop vac. It's most likely drains at the outdoor unit. If you can't find it, call a service tech

the A/H is mounted to the underside of my garage ceiling, not in the attic. The old A/H had a large pan underneath the actual unit, and I believe it also had the required PVC piping that ran to the outside to drain.

I am missing the LARGE UNDER PAN (drain pan) and the PVC piping to drain the pan to the ouside, I am assuming this is the first step, yes? I am just very concerned that this is a TON of sweating and water inside the A/H itself, then to add the problems about possible MOLD and MILDEW not to mention the unit rusting...?...

Thanks again - let me know, N O V I C E on this end.

the pan you seen is a secondary pan and is there for if the main drain that is in the unit gets clogged upi it would drain in the secondary pan until you would clear the main one out

The big pan under the unit was the secondary pan, for when the primary drain plugged. Clear the drain line.

I sure am slow! Momma told me, "He who laughs last... thinks the slowest!!! Ha!

JUST checked the OUTSIDE PVC line, it didn't appear clogged but there was NOT wated exiting the house/line, now, guess what...?... there is indeed some water dripping out of the line. I will monitor it closely the nexy few days, HOPING the sweating of the cabinet subsides a bit not to mention the A/H stops draining four gallons INTO my garage garbage cans.

In addition, if this is the fix, I will most likely file a complaint with BBB+ for XXX Cape Coral, FL, since they wanted to sell me a NEW condenser, wanted me to add a few more returns, and NEVER CHECKED the outside unit the entire time they were at my house (15 mins tops) since I was with them the entire time.

This is, if it works out as I suspect it will from your expertise and rudimentary advice, akin to a surgeon wanting to amputate your arm because you have a bad hang-nail (that he forgot to check altogether).

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

[Edited by jrbenny on 08-27-2006 at 10:08 PM]

JUST checked the OUTSIDE PVC line, it didn't appear clogged
    Mr wilson,
    It never does. Did you clear your drain line? And don't blame someone clog... just clear it!

Mr. Wilson whining makes me laugh, and you whine so well, please call a tech and end your whining. WWAAAAAAA.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast