Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Before I get started let me tell you a little be about myself. I am going to graduate from tech school in the second half of september. I have gotten excellent grades in school; 97 of 100 overall. I do have automotive experience in ac and decided to use the school as a springboard into HVAC. I have a professional appearance and treat every customer the same way I would treat my mother. Oh also I have to include that I have no crimes or speeding tickets or any of that type of fun stuff in my life.

I understand that my school has been teaching in ideal controlled conditions. I also belive that most schools do that and my real experience starts the day I recieve my diploma.

What I need to know is what will really get me started in a decent company and what to expect when I approach someone about work. I am really getting those job search jitters.

The situation looks grim

You should be getting those job search jitters. Although I have a little further to go in school than you, I have been looking at the job market and it seems that no one will hire you unless you have at least 3 to 5 years experience. That is the way it is in the St.louis area, your area may be different. For your sake, I hope. I don't understand how you are going to get experience if no one will hire you because you have no experience. The only job that I have seen that would take on anybody with no experience payed 8 whole dollars an hour. You could probably get a job flipping burgers for that much. I don't mean to rain on your parade but that is the way that I see the situation, at least where I live. If I had known this maybe I would have went to school for something else. For what it is worth, I haven't tried to apply anywhere because like I said I am not through with school yet so I don't know if anybody would hire me or not, but these are the only jobs that I have seen advertised and I have looked in the newpapers, Americas job bank, HVAC Agent and just about every other place you could imagine. So hopefully your situation doesn't look as bad as mine, but if it is good luck, you are going to need it.

not sure where you are but try to go to the local hvac parts place and see if any one has posted jobs and ask them what places they would recommend you checking out. that is how i found both jobs. my first in res. and comm. hvac and then my second move to comm refrig. good luck

I got lucky and got on with a company when I was halfway through school. The pay wasn't great, but all the things that I learned from the other techs was worth more than a few more dollars an hour. I helped out all over the shop. Now I have been there for nearly two years..Good Luck

the clean driving record will help you allot , about 3/4 of the "A" students i graduated with were being rejected because they had DUIs and stuff.

i don't know if you can help it or not , but try to act mature as possible , these HVAC companies appear to really be picky as to who they THINK should have the privilege of working for them.

they like people who look like they know everything , wether they do or not is trivial.

don't focus too much on your school scores , cause no one cares.
    focus more on your image.

the truth is , although these HVAC companies are desperate for good techs , very few are willing to deal with newbies.

don't take the $10 per hour install jobs unless you have to.

"tune-up" jobs are OK but try to get them to give you some troubleshooting every now and then, some companies try to place you in tune-ups for years.

oh! and by-the-way , WHEN you see a senior tech do something like NOT use a vacuum pump , DON'T EVEN THINK of saying anything.

dont get dicouraged even if you take a job making less most bosses will realize your worth sooner or later there are alot of jobs out there and look at service vehicles on the street mostly filled with older techs a boss who wants his company to last will take a chance with somebody young who he can mold regardless of experience you may start low in pay but you will get raised quickly also dont get cocky i thought i was the best when i got out of school till i got my first call and didnt know how to turn the damn unit on.

You are right. A lot of bosses will realize your worth sooner or later. A friend of mine worked for 5 years for a guy and every time he asked about a raise he was told that it wasn't in the budget. Then one day he put in his two weeks notice because he had found a better job and all of a sudden his boss realized that he was worth 2 dollars an hour more. But it was too little too late. I am sure that this is not the case with everybody but it was with him. I don't get it, it seems that it is a waste of time hiring somebody training them, only to see them leave because you were too cheap to pay them what they were worth. But I guess that is one way to get some experienece.

We all have to start out at the bottom and work our way up through the ranks.

I started 1976 doing installs in new construction with metal round ductwork, hot work and I wasn't making 8.00 per hour and had wife and small child to support.

You will do fine, just get some tools, a meter, some gauges and ask for the chance to show them what you can do with little supervision. Look the interview person and ask for the job, tell him you can start tomorrow..

Ask for 10.00 per hour with raise in 6 months.
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

Greetings anolgkid,
    I know the jitters that you have. Going through the interview process ect.
    Just remeber you are selling yourself. You can have all the certificates in the world but if your interviewer doesn't have confidence in you then he may wait for someone that he does to come along.
    So walk in with confidence, not cocky, and sell your self.
    This has worked for me. I'm by far not the best tech, just (almost) two years experience.
    I got my first job a month before getting out of school because I sold myself. I had all the certificates/ grades/ second best gpa upon graduating. But that doesn't mean to hella alot.
    I'm up in years and one thing I always tell people on interviews is to sell themself.
    Good luck Bro and keep us posted.
    p.s.
    I'm sure you will be a good tech, you found this place right. I found this site in school and read it everyday, even told my instructor and other students. I think I'm ther only one that visits the pro's forum from my graduating class. Keep learning and
    NO ? IS STUPID

One more thing Anologkid,
    In your interview were they ask whats your best strength.
    I usually will answer with "able to ask for help when I don't know, thats why you give techs phones and I'm not afraid to use it"
    I'm a little more savy with the wording but I can't type as fast as my brain thinks LOL

don't know how urgent you have to get a job but i would recommend sticking to your guns if you want a tech position. too many places start you out as an installer because that is where they are short and that is all you ever do. when i did my interview i told the service manager that if he had any intention of putting me as an installer the interview was over. he told me he wanted a tech and i got a job that day. you have to let them know what you want or they will give you what they want. by the way i did this with no tech school.

Originally posted by sand506
    don't know how urgent you have to get a job but i would recommend sticking to your guns if you want a tech position. too many places start you out as an installer because that is where they are short and that is all you ever do. when i did my interview i told the service manager that if he had any intention of putting me as an installer the interview was over. he told me he wanted a tech and i got a job that day. you have to let them know what you want or they will give you what they want. by the way i did this with no tech school.

After telling the service manager something like that, I'm surprised the interview wasn't over anyway. That just sounds cocky to me. But what the hell do I know, I haven't got my first job yet.

What is your location

What area are you located in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast