+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Var Speed Motors

Post Likes

Var Speed Motors

Is anyone else concerned about customer backlash when some of these var speed motors and modules start going out. I had one the other day that was under warranty but would have cost an arm and a leg to replace, especially if it would have been on overtime...

Post Likes
    Me personally no. Its not your fault the blower went out nor is it your fault the unit is out of warranty. Yea I feel bad and it does suck when a motor goes out after just a short time (ie. x-13 motors). Home owners think because you are the tech than its your fault mostly cause you are the one in front of them telling them that their unit is out of warranty. Manufacturers warranties are just that, not your companies warranty.

Post Likes
    Nope, I tell them if they have concerns I can provide numbers for the manufactor..they build em we sell em.

LOL actually I do care I have replaces a dozen x-13 blowers this summer, but what can you do but warranty the part add a surge protector etc etc.

Post Likes
    Almost all of ours are on some kind of extended warranty. Homeowners tend not to care if they aren't paying the bills. But if they are, look out.

That's what scares me about tankless WHs. Or Mod Con boilers. They are so pricey to begin with and are so complex, one repair in their lifetime chews up any gas savings. And people aren't used to maintenance on a WH and many don't maintain their old cast iron boilers. Can't get by with that on a 90% boiler.

Post Likes
    I replaced a varible speed motor and module in a 12 year old carrier it was big bucks .

Post Likes
    I priced one for a lennox two weeks ago.....customer told me to leave

Post Likes

Like a lot of the high efficiency stuff ...

The money saved for the sake of energy efficiency will be more than lost once a repair is needed. Not only the repair, but I am doubtful that some of this "high efficiency" equipment will last as long as the one that was replaced.

The question that I am asked quite frequently is, "Why is it that my new high efficiency heat pump cost more to operate than my 15 year old heat pump?" I don't have an answer for them.

I am starting to believe that all this SEER & HSPF is a bunch of hot air. If the long term or lifetime cost of the system is figured in, I am sure that the old 10 SEER system was a better deal.

Just my $.02.

But as far as an ECM motor replacement goes, you could put in a PSC replacement.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by joemach View Post
    The question that I am asked quite frequently is, "Why is it that my new high efficiency heat pump cost more to operate than my 15 year old heat pump?" I don't have an answer for them.

I am starting to believe that all this SEER & HSPF is a bunch of hot air. If the long term or lifetime cost of the system is figured in, I am sure that the old 10 SEER system was a better deal.

Maybe your answer is here .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Make your expertise uniquely valuable.

Make your influence uniquely far-reaching.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jimj View Post
    Maybe your answer is here .
    Thanks Jim,

I will dig into that tomorrow. Looks like some answers I have been looking for.

I appreciate your help.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Post Likes
    I had a customer I did a tune up on he had a xl19i he told me the condenser fan motor went out just before the warranty ended he told me if it wasn't under warranty they told him it would cost $XXXX to replace
    Last edited by Stamas; 07-30-2012 at 07:32 AM.

Post Likes
    But as far as an ECM motor replacement goes, you could put in a PSC replacement.[/QUOTE]

How is this possible w out changing out the board, etc

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    I replaced a varible speed motor and module in a 12 year old carrier it was big bucks .
    I replaced the whole darn unit with a sane, no frills 80 and applied some credit on the emergency call conversion to a regular motor to get her going.

Few people will recoup their cost unless they live there a long time AND have no problems with parts.

Post Likes
    The commutator heads are now available seperately from the motor. This is where i usually find the failures. They can typically be replaced without even removing the motor from the blower assembly. Also much cheaper than replacing thw whole motor.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in