Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    If it is locked up replacing bearings will be a waste of time. Chances are the rotors are damaged and so would the housing.

i havent started looking for the oil yet, any ideas anyone. i know its not on the ground and its not in the seperator. its a rtac

Its in there ....evap maybe would be my guess....

http://www.trane.com/CPS/uploads/use...N_02172011.pdf
    mikeacman

Quote Originally Posted by mikeacman View Post
    Do you have amps on all 3 phases (if XL ) ,is it pulling actual LRA or just high amps?

I had one burn a wire off at the compressor terminal... worth pulling the cover and looking and checking the windings as well with a meter
    The CTs would pick up a phase imbalance, lock out the compressor and log a fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Six View Post
    The CTs would pick up a phase imbalance, lock out the compressor and log a fault.
    you are correct
    mikeacman

you said it come on? if so it could just be starting up full loaded if the piston is stuck. you can try to hook your gauges to the end of the comp. where the piston is.( there should be a Schrader port already there) and the other side to the suction line after the comp. when it starts open both ports on your gauges to equalize the pressure and see if your RLA goes down if so then you have a comp starting fully loaded

Quote Originally Posted by billyp7999 View Post
    i havent started looking for the oil yet, any ideas anyone. i know its not on the ground and its not in the seperator. its a rtac
    It's probably in the evaporator. Check and make sure the valve to the oil scavanger line is open and the strainer (or filter) on the scavanger line isn't clogged up.

Okay. Here we go.
    I replaced the compressor.
    I am pulling a vacuum on the unit.
    It will come down to 1200 microns and then.... It starts climbing up and up and eventually it quits reading. What is going on?
    Why would it pull down to 1200 and then go back up??
    I have flushed the unit several times with nitrogen and changed the oil in my vacuum pump but it still does it.
    Any ideas???

Quote Originally Posted by Cool it now View Post
    ...It will come down to 1200 microns and then.... It starts climbing up and up and eventually it quits reading. What is going on?
    Why would it pull down to 1200 and then go back up??
    I have flushed the unit several times with nitrogen and changed the oil in my vacuum pump but it still does it.
    Any ideas???
    'it quits reading'...like you have a bad battery? or it goes above a certain number?

if it goes higher than about 5000 to 6000 microns, most likely, you have a leak.
    my 1st time jumping out of a plane...http://youtu.be/Kv38G0MHsGo

Sure sounds that it has a leak or your setup has a leak. Possibly still getting refrigerant vapor out too.

1200 microns seems to be the magic number. I can't count how many times I have gotten to that number and couldn't get it any lower. It has always been a small leak or usually moisture. I just keep breaking the vacuum with nitrogen and pulling it down again until I get it down to a good level.

Hook your pump up with soft copper and make sure all connections are tight. Make sure you have fresh oil in the pump, you know the drill. If you don't have any oil in the separator and none on the ground it's got to be in the machine. If it hasn't drained back to the separator during the course of your compressor change its probably in the evaporator. RTAC = 134A. You are not going to get it pulled down if it has been open for much length of time due to the oil absorbing oil. Not as bad as a 410 machine but bad enough. If the machine runs at low load conditions for extended periods it could have pumped the oil out. I would be willing to bet you will find the machine oversized or a EXV issue when you do get it up. Also just for future knowledge a front seated discharge valve can present just like a locked compressor without tripping on high head pressure.

I just wonder how much EXTRA oil will be added to get an oil level?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast