Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Rtaa090 compressor problem

Hey guys, need some help. I have a rtaa090 and my b circuit (40 ton) compressor comes on and immediately starts pulling lra (actually jumps to 423%) . And then it shuts down. My tech says its probably locked up. Called Trane and WOW!! Very expensive. Could it be something else or is it more than likely locked up??
    Also my tech says that if it is locked up I might try to take it apart and unfreeze it, get new gaskets, and buy new bearings from motion industries.
    Anybody run into this and if so what is my best option in order to save some money.

Kind regards
    Cool it now

Your best option at this point is to get a Tech that is familiar with this unit, and troubleshooting 3 phase starters/motors.
    “If your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.” ~Henry J. Kaiser

Quote Originally Posted by Cool it now View Post
    Hey guys, need some help. I have a rtaa090 and my b circuit (40 ton) compressor comes on and immediately starts pulling lra (actually jumps to 423%) . And then it shuts down. My tech says its probably locked up. Called Trane and WOW!! Very expensive. Could it be something else or is it more than likely locked up??
    Also my tech says that if it is locked up I might try to take it apart and unfreeze it, get new gaskets, and buy new bearings from motion industries.
    Anybody run into this and if so what is my best option in order to save some money.

Kind regards
    Cool it now
    You've probably lost that compressor. They don't lock up because a stray pebble or sheet metal screw got lodged in the screws.

You need to contact a qualified service representative to have him assess the damage on that chiller.

Trying to save a buck is going to cost you much more.

What type of compressor starting arrangement do you have. Is it a "Y-Delta Closed Transition" or "across the line start".

Understand the symptoms and you will find the solution.

Don't look good. I have had a couple of these screws open with the motor out of them, piston replacement gone astray. Easy enough to get open but don't think I would attempt a bearing replacement or anything requiring aligning of those rotors. Recommend verifying starter operation and ordering a comp.

Had the same issue, and found the compressor was locked up. I then checked the oil in the seperator and found no oil, yikes. i have to go back and view the fault history to see if someone kept resetting this since there should have been many lock outs before this compressor locked up. A word to the wise, screw compressor from trane do not come with oil in them have to add a few pints through the suction side.

Quote Originally Posted by Six View Post
    ...They don't lock up because a stray pebble or sheet metal screw got lodged in the screws...
    yes it would.

Quote Originally Posted by Six View Post
    ......Trying to save a buck is going to cost you much more.
    this is very true.
    How to make the perfect "Half-Hitch" knot or any other boyscout knot in 3 easy steps...

1. Remove your meter leads from the meter and very carefully return them to their storage case or bag.
    2. Wait 2 seconds
    3. Very carefully remove your meter leads from their storage place and enjoy your new knot!

Well... Thanks anyway. Knew you guys would know.

Quote Originally Posted by billyp7999 View Post
    Had the same issue, and found the compressor was locked up. I then checked the oil in the seperator and found no oil, yikes. i have to go back and view the fault history to see if someone kept resetting this since there should have been many lock outs before this compressor locked up. A word to the wise, screw compressor from trane do not come with oil in them have to add a few pints through the suction side.
    Ouch!! Where was the oil?

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy knocker View Post
    Don't look good. I have had a couple of these screws open with the motor out of them, piston replacement gone astray. Easy enough to get open but don't think I would attempt a bearing replacement or anything requiring aligning of those rotors. Recommend verifying starter operation and ordering a comp.
    Correction. I've had a couple of the 100 tone comp apart. Never cracked one of the baby screws myself. Still would not get into the rotor section though. Replacement still safest path. Not to difficult to change out. Piece of 1/4" plate steel and a come along will help to get it out far enough for the pic. Good luck.

contactors have to be taking the hit there on start,and what noise is going on from start to trip is it singing a tune
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

Do you have amps on all 3 phases (if XL ) ,is it pulling actual LRA or just high amps?

I had one burn a wire off at the compressor terminal... worth pulling the cover and looking and checking the windings as well with a meter
    mikeacman

And no ,I don't think you'll be sucessfull in a field
    teardown
    mikeacman

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast