Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am building a new home and have to pick between York and Carrier air conditioners. The price is about the same. One unit will be a split system and the other will be a package unit.

It does get too cold for heat pumps here on occasion so propane is a must for the heat. Are the duel fuel units any good? Can you select what temperature the duel fuel units switches over from electric to propane? I would like to be able to manually switch it between propane and electric if possible.

you dont have to pick between york or carrier. the bulider & his hvac man should be able to answer these quaestions for you. i would suggest getting quotes on your hvac from other contractors, this is Your Home.
    & the hvac is the most imortant,most expensive system & is far to often installed very poorly during construction.
    as far systems go ,there are much more reliable brands out there
    The Captain.

HEAT PUMP

YOU DIDN'T POST WHAT PART OF THE COUNTRY YOU LIVE IN BUT THE OTHER PERSON WITH AN ANSWER WAS VERY MUCH CORRECT IN ADVISING YOU TO GET YOUR OWN AC PERSON AND GET QUALIFIED ADVICE. BUILDERS WILL FOR JUST A COUPLE OF HUNDRED DOLLARS SELL YOU DOWN THE RIVER ON YOUR AC SYSTEMS. YOU SHOULD REQUIRE INSTALLATION TO ADHERE TO THE INTERNATIONAL ENERGY CODE IN YOUR HOME AND BUY THE HIGHEST EFFICIENCY TWO STAGE DUAL FUEL HEAT PUMP SYSTEM THAT YOU CAN FIND AND IT WOULD NOT BE CARRIER OR YORK IT WOULLD BE MORE LIKE TRANE

My builder recommends the Carrier installer. A good friend of mine installs York. I feel comfortable with those two choices. I was just hopeing someone would give opinions of the two products. There is also a Trane dealer here in town but they are a lot more expensive. BTW, I am in Sierra Vista AZ.

I trust my friend to do a good job. He is a little more money than the carrier dealer but explains to me that the Carrier dealer does not install a well ballanced system. He tells me that there need to be more registers and return airs ,etc. He also takes into consideration the orientation of the home and the sun, etc. were the Carrier does not seem to do.

I guess I am leaning twords the York system. Does York make a good product or ????

get a york affinity gas heat .heat pumps are ok but more prone to evap coil leaks .

no york & carrier now make very poor products, the service shows this. look at an American Standard product, they allso make Trane. it will outlast if installed properly.
    i lost count ofall the 6-10 year old carrier & york crap we have ripped out because it was Total Ruin. this doesnt happen with American Standard Products. there are seberal budget lines out ther that will outlast the 2 you mentioned
    I can honestly say i would choose a nordyne or goodman product over ethier of those. both of those companys sed to make good stuff, they sold out, there coils are crap, you never know what compressor you will see from york to york.
    even goodman wont use a bristol now, they learned the hard way.
    American Standard makes there own compressors, They are the BEST.
    Goodman & Nordyne now feature Copeland Compressors.
    hats off to them for using a good compressor.

Get a good R-410A system. insist on maual J & D be done. its your money, dont settle for **** cause in the end that just what you will have :-)

[Edited by captainrat on 08-25-2006 at 09:11 PM]
    The Captain.

captianrat, were is the proof that york and carrier makes poor products? I use York and have very little problems with them. American Standard is not any better then york or carrier. Proper installation and setup is what makes any system last, a poor installation will shorted a systems life quickly. All manufactures may run into a period of manufacturing defects from time to time. Dont give out poor information to people seeking help.

I would take a York Affinity! With a 410a Heatpump! Carrier is fine, and Trane is also fine but over priced. York is installer and Service friendly. Dual fuel is my favorite, yes you can control your Low Balance Point and High Balance Point VIA the Thermostat. The Robertshaw 300-208 with the outdoor temp sensor is a great auto changeover stat.

[Edited by icyflame on 08-26-2006 at 01:14 AM]
    IcyFlame

I'd recommend the York line.

As for A/S being the best, thats hog wash.

Haven't seen this coil trouble that rat talks about.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

the proof is in how many are so bad they have to be replaced.your comparing a 8-12 product to a 20 year product
    The Captain.

Age for age, I replace as many Tranes, and American standards as any other brand.

Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Stick to Carrier or Trane. I say this for customer support reasons. Carrier offers the Infinity dual heat system that no one can touch for efficiency and comfort, and ease of use. The system is extreemly reliable.
    Fact is, all systems work properly, will last a reasonable time and be reliable if they are applied, installed, and maintained properly.

Originally posted by davo
    Stick to Carrier or Trane. I say this for customer support reasons. Carrier offers the Infinity dual heat system that no one can touch for efficiency and comfort,
    You don't know much about the RUUD Mod do you? that is false infomation you posted, Carrier wished they could touch the RUUD Mod.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast