affordable absorption chillers?

i am looking for a small absorption chiller or something like them that can cool a house with heat coming from a wood pellet boiler system. i thought about having the contractor install a compressor chiller but i want a low energy chiller that runs on heat.

Short answer: even if you could find one, avoid residential absorption HVAC like the plague.

Long answer: same as above.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

The only place you'll find absorption chillers anymore is at power plants where they have a lot of waste low pressure steam and large cooling demands over 500tons.

I wonder if they make a absorption chiller that will run <20psi that you'll get from a residential or commercial boiler. When I say "low pressure" above, I mean <150psi.

Bottom line, unless you have minimal electricity because you in a off grid home running on solar panels, I don't see this being very cost effective compares to more conventional technologies like a geothermal WSHP.

And if this IS for off-grid use, you might want to look into making electricity from that heat, charging batteries, and looking into a 48V mini split.

I'd say avoid mini steam turbines like the plague as well.

Better to get a small scale solar and wind installation, then insulate the crap out of the house so you don't need much cooling capacity to begine with.