+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Liq. Level set point on a centrifical ?

Post Likes

Liq. Level set point on a centrifical ?

What is the purpose of this setup . How does the machine react as it maintains set point and with different condenser loads ? For example , if you had 3/4 of the barrel full of liquid I would probably expect a higher condenser pressure verses if it was 1/4 full of liquid . Am I even in the ball park with analogy ?

Post Likes
    Never seen a liquid level s/p on a cetrifugal
    It's hard to stop a Trane. but I have made one helluva living keeping them going.

Post Likes
    It's on a York ykcf machine . I think it is a variable orifice in the liquid line between the barrels controlled by a actuator. But Im hoping someone else can shine some light on his subject .

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by newbe0507 View Post
    What is the purpose of this setup . How does the machine react as it maintains set point and with different condenser loads ? For example , if you had 3/4 of the barrel full of liquid I would probably expect a higher condenser pressure verses if it was 1/4 full of liquid . Am I even in the ball park with analogy ?
    Liquid level keeps the subcooler covered to gain efficiency. As long as you don't start covering condenser tubes with liquid, the level in a condenser barrel doesn't change the pressure in the barrel any more than the amount of liquid in a drum of refrigerant changes the pressure in the drum.

Post Likes
    What is a good set point and why ?

Post Likes
    Actual number for a setpoint depends on whether or not the guy that commissioned the chiller knows his butt from 3rd base. % can vary depending on calibration. The goal is to just keep the subcooler covered. You can calibrate the controller (which I won't get into here) and you should be able to set at 40% +/- and do well.

Post Likes
    thanks Klove

Post Likes
    also see them on turbocore machines

Post Likes
    Klove, thanks a lot for your explanation of this. I've wondered about it myself, and I thought it might have had something to do with not starving the evaporator when you're running cold condenser water. I wish I got more inspection and wrench time with the YKs and YTs, but I only get to play with the beige machines.
    Don't pick the fly crap out of the pepper.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in