+ Reply to Thread

Thread: threaded steel suction line

Post Likes

threaded steel suction line

threaded steel pipe for a suction line

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had a customer today that wanted me to make a copper to steel transition .

This is for a rig to cool natural gas so they can crack it.

Evap temp is gonna run -10f

They wanted to run the suction line in schedule 80 threaded pipe . I said not a good idea ,may hold at first but after cycling the machine I was afraid thermal expansion and contraction would cause leaks . They are now going to socket weld it . They wouldn't let me run copper as they already have pipe and fittings and say they are close to losing money on this deal.

Am I correct in telling them no threaded steel for refrigerant

Post Likes

Hmm

Im gonna say that its probly not the best idea..

Post Likes
    I would stay away from that one. If I put my name on it and customer will not let me do it right, they would have no warranty or guarantee it will work.

Post Likes
    I have worked on many a R-22 skids using black iron pipe.

If it's good enough for ammonia what's the problem?

Post Likes
    Make sure you have vibration eliminators at the comp and use this stuff for your threaded joints.

Expando Pipe Dope

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bunny View Post
    I have worked on many a R-22 skids using black iron pipe.

If it's good enough for ammonia what's the problem?
    And lots of small coolers use steel discharge lines, condensers, and
    receivers. Older stuff mostly, but its been done for years.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by benny42 View Post
    And lots of small coolers use steel discharge lines, condensers, and
    receivers. Older stuff mostly, but its been done for years.
    This is true, along with the fact that most compressors and filter driers are also steel. With that being said, though, I would think regular black pipe would be way to dirty. Also, I would think it would rust out very easily. A suction line is not the same as a discharge line, condenser, or receiver in this regard.

I would try as hard as possible to run away from this job, or at the very least have them sign a waiver that says they recognize that it isn't recommended and they will assume all risks if it doesn't work out as well as they hope.

If they are trying this hard to save money, it doesn't seem like it would end well for you to be in the middle of it.

Edit...

I just re-read your post. In it you say "This is for a rig to cool natural gas so they can crack it". I don't understand what you mean by this, but if they are just looking for a way to be able to take apart the piping easily, you can get solder type brass unions. I have never seen them used for refrigeration before, but it would probably be better than steel.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in