Confused

Question for anyone who lives down south. My uncle purchased a 90 + about a year and a half ago. He said they(the professional installers) had to come back and adjust the amp on the blower about 2 months ago(too high). He is now being told by those same people that he has heavy mold on his A coil and needs to drop $XXXX for an ultra-violet light. Does that much mold happen in that little time? I'm from up North and don't know how the whole Florida thing works. He's older and I don't want to see him get hosed by anyone. Thanks ahead of time for any feedback.

[Edited by arpa on 08-25-2006 at 02:59 PM]

Normal a/c coils with good air filters wash are cleaned by condensate. The condensate washes mold spores and organic dust down the drain. Surrounding ducts/cabinet collects these materials. Moisture retained on the a/c coil maintains high humidity in the cabinet/ducts during the off cycle. This helps mold grow. A several hour drying cycle everyday may prevent mold growth. Operating the air handler blower on a schedule could reduce the amount of moisture in the ducts. UV lites control mold within 18" and direct line. Also the moisture levels in the home have an effect. Maintaining <50%RH in the home and throughly drying the equipment everyday is more certain solution to mold control. Useally supplemental dehumidification is required during the wet cool weather to maintain <50%RH. Whole house dehumidifiers circulate dry air throughout the home via the a/c ducts. This thoroughly dries everything during the low cooling load hours.
    Dirty coils is sign of leaky ducts and/or poor filters. This should be fixed asap. After cconfirming high humidity, supplemental dehumidification should be investigated. Dehu TB

kdmwife wrote:
    >older and I don't want to see him get hosed

having recently worked on a number of systems with elderly residents, my observation was these people tended to shut off their systems erratically as opposed to setting a thermo value and letting the system run. often I've walked into a hot steamy house where the thermo was set to 86 (or off) and after cleaning coil, replacing filter, setting thermo to 78, system ran just fine.

does he replace filter monthly? does he run system at 76-78F daily?

system could also be oversized, drops temp too quickly, leaving a cool but damp house with lots of moisture (I've got my very own Ultra-Aire, just waiting to install it when I get the time..thanks TB)

Question for anyone who lives down south
    I've been an a/c contractor for 19yrs in North Florida. I have found most mildow problems stem from airflow problems and oversized equipment. Right sized equipment with properly sized and sealed return air, duct system, and a maintained filter don't usually have a problem.

The sales man may be treating a symptom, not the cause.