Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    66
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    I have a fairly new gas furnace. Lately I've noticed black soot on the walls and drapes near the registers. Could it be a chimney problem, is something out of adjustment, or do I need a whole new furnace? Is there something wrong with this furnace or is this normal?

  2. #2
    Originally posted by mark129
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    I have a fairly new gas furnace. Lately I've noticed black soot on the walls and drapes near the registers. Could it be a chimney problem, is something out of adjustment, or do I need a whole new furnace? Is there something wrong with this furnace or is this normal?
    call an experienced tech now...you need something done before you have serious trouble. This is an issue that needs a pro to check out closely to make sure it is corrected.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    12,189
    It's August. I doubt the gas side of the furnace is operating.

    How many candles does your wife burn each day?
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,506
    Originally posted by jrbenny
    It's August. I doubt the gas side of the furnace is operating.

    How many candles does your wife burn each day?



    Excellent suggestion JR, I was in a house that had soot everywhere. The 2X4's in the wall and ceiling were clearly blackening and you could see everyone of them. They insisted the furnace was defective. I counted over 2 hundred candles in the house. She said she only burns one at a time, (of course).
    Buy American! The job you save may be your own.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Zelienople, Pa
    Posts
    2,965
    Candles...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    High Point, NC
    Posts
    155
    Candles will cause the problem. This will show up even more with a central return and a closed door to one room. The carpet under the door will have a waxy feeling and turn darker from the air going under the door to the return. Filters do not remove the soot from candles. Not only candles, oil lamps can do the same thing. Scented candles are the worst.
    A negative pressure in the house can cause a backdraft on the fireplace chimney and the water heater.
    Call and have system checked pronto. Buy a Carbonmonoxide detector and install according to the directions or have installed.
    This does not sound healthy.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    700
    Also agree that candles are a likely source. I've seen it many times, and find that people have a hard time believing that a few little candles can cause so much trouble. Google "candles + soot" and see what you find!
    Question authority!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Posts
    1,051
    Candles, candles, candles. Most customers don't understand this.
    Its a good Life!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Derby City
    Posts
    3,964
    jrbenny: probably hit the nail on the head. This is a problem that was identified many years ago (in Florida I believe). Doen't mean it could be the only source but is probably the most likely. As stated earlier, call a professional.
    Everyone has a purpose in life..........even if it's to be a bad example.

    Seek first to understand, before seeking to be understood.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Warren, MI
    Posts
    951
    The scented candles are the worst! If you do a Google search, you'll find numerous cases in the courts over damaged interior paint, furniture, etc.

    My sister was seeing a black coating in silverware draws and even inside the fridge! It gets everywhere.

    To test a candle, lite a candle with several styrofoam plates around it. The plates will catch the particles.
    Bill

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event