--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a fairly new gas furnace. Lately I've noticed black soot on the walls and drapes near the registers. Could it be a chimney problem, is something out of adjustment, or do I need a whole new furnace? Is there something wrong with this furnace or is this normal?

Originally posted by mark129
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a fairly new gas furnace. Lately I've noticed black soot on the walls and drapes near the registers. Could it be a chimney problem, is something out of adjustment, or do I need a whole new furnace? Is there something wrong with this furnace or is this normal?
    call an experienced tech now...you need something done before you have serious trouble. This is an issue that needs a pro to check out closely to make sure it is corrected.

It's August. I doubt the gas side of the furnace is operating.

How many candles does your wife burn each day?
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Originally posted by jrbenny
    It's August. I doubt the gas side of the furnace is operating.

How many candles does your wife burn each day?

Excellent suggestion JR, I was in a house that had soot everywhere. The 2X4's in the wall and ceiling were clearly blackening and you could see everyone of them. They insisted the furnace was defective. I counted over 2 hundred candles in the house. She said she only burns one at a time, (of course).
    Buy American! The job you save may be your own.

Candles...

Candles will cause the problem. This will show up even more with a central return and a closed door to one room. The carpet under the door will have a waxy feeling and turn darker from the air going under the door to the return. Filters do not remove the soot from candles. Not only candles, oil lamps can do the same thing. Scented candles are the worst.
    A negative pressure in the house can cause a backdraft on the fireplace chimney and the water heater.
    Call and have system checked pronto. Buy a Carbonmonoxide detector and install according to the directions or have installed.
    This does not sound healthy.

Also agree that candles are a likely source. I've seen it many times, and find that people have a hard time believing that a few little candles can cause so much trouble. Google "candles + soot" and see what you find!
    Question authority!

Candles, candles, candles. Most customers don't understand this.
    Its a good Life!

jrbenny: probably hit the nail on the head. This is a problem that was identified many years ago (in Florida I believe). Doen't mean it could be the only source but is probably the most likely. As stated earlier, call a professional.
    Everyone has a purpose in life..........even if it's to be a bad example.

Seek first to understand, before seeking to be understood.

The scented candles are the worst! If you do a Google search, you'll find numerous cases in the courts over damaged interior paint, furniture, etc.

My sister was seeing a black coating in silverware draws and even inside the fridge! It gets everywhere.

To test a candle, lite a candle with several styrofoam plates around it. The plates will catch the particles.
    Bill