Matsu****a rotary compressor backspins

I had a maintinence man call me and describe what sounded like a broken compressor. It's a First Co. hotel unit. The condenser was dirty and compressor was near max LRA. Rated for 6.6, running at 6.3. On shutdown, compressor had a wicked backspin, rattling and knocking for 15-20 seconds. I figured "this is easy, dirty condenser coil." After cleaning, it runs cooler and RLA dropped to a proper 5.0. But the comp. still backspins loudly. I don't have operating pressures as this is a sealed system w/no access valves. Temp drops are about 16 degrees and the "touch" of the lines tells me it is properly charged. Operates properly except for the rattle. Do these small 1.5 ton units have a built in check valve to prevent this from happening?

I had a 3/4 ton water source heat pump with a rotary compressor do this. It would work great but when it shut off the refrigerant head pressure would spin the comp backwards and it made quite the racket. Considering this was a bedroom unit in a closet of an apartment building i had to replace the unit. I believe the compressor might have a valve on the discharge and when its not sealing anymore consider it das kaput.
    Experience
    Is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

A positive attidude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worthwhile.

check valve is bad. Instaleld a 50 ton carrier and the new compressor did this. Carrier ate that one and replaced the compressor and paid for the crane and all!

Quote Originally Posted by HvAckid82 View Post
    check valve is bad. Instaleld a 50 ton carrier and the new compressor did this. Carrier ate that one and replaced the compressor and paid for the crane and all!
    Was it a Copeland?
    UA 100

It takes three people to do anything around here. Two do the work, one explains to the crowd of people who showed up when they seen smoke and flames.

No danfoss

If its just the faulty internal check valve thats wrong with the compressor, an external one fitted in the discharge line can be worth considering.

Thanks guys. I was fairly certain that was the problem but wanted confirmation. I think rotaries should be outlawed. Noisy and seem to be very fragile as far as talking abuse such as slugging. They must be very cheap to build.