Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 40 to 52 of 55
  1. #40
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,794
    So we work 4 hours more ( at higher MIN wage @ $9.50 / $10.30 per hour ) before OT kicks in.

  2. #41
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    up in the hizzy
    Posts
    1,285
    Quote Originally Posted by timebuilder View Post
    I'm sorry, my friend.

    Apparently, this changed in 2004. At my flight school, the wage structure I described was still in effect in 2002, and had been so since the 1930's.

    This may have been a contributing factor to the school closing in 2004. I had not spoken to the chief pilot in some time at that point.

    Here are some highlights I just found, and their source page.



    http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...ylvania/553571


    Sounds like more federal control, and fewer states rights, doesn't it?
    We need the federal overseeing and minimum standards without them, we would be at the mercy of corporations like lennox nas and they replace us with illegals without thinking twice.

  3. #42
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southeastern Pa
    Posts
    16,995
    Quote Originally Posted by valdelocc View Post
    We need the federal overseeing and minimum standards without them, we would be at the mercy of corporations like Lennox NAS and they replace us with illegals without thinking twice.
    I don't think OT standards will prevent illegals from working what would otherwise be jobs for experienced American techs. The Lennox problem is that no one can fix a unit, because they are a SALES force, and not a repair force.
    [Avatar photo from a Florida training accident. Everyone walked away.]
    2 Tim 3:16-17

    RSES CMS, HVAC Electrical Specialist

    AOP Forum Rules:







  4. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by mcairrepair View Post
    They did however start me at $40/hr. So I feel like I shouldn't be complaining. Is that enough to not complain about those other things?
    That's not a high cost for your employer. You're probably comparable to a CBA Total Package, except your employer is paying you directly. Your employer could be paying any company; Union, National or large locally owned, anywhere near $100/Hr. for service.
    Do you get Double Time at all?

  5. #44
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by carmon View Post
    really
    No not for him really. But I did have a boss who was tired of a contract admin holding payment due to gate time bc of supply house. He ordered me to call a hotshot and wait. It worked. Trying to illustrate the lunacy of mcrepairs situation at the supply house.

  6. #45
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,330
    the beautiful thing about Ameica is if you think your getting screwed with out the kiss, you can quit and go somewhere else.

    anything over 8 and 40 is overtime..however being self employed, i dont charge my customers any overtime, even on sundays...i have 12 unlicenced competitors to deal with..

  7. #46
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,325
    Quote Originally Posted by zw17 View Post
    And some people wonder why unions are still alive and well...
    Unscroupulous employers is what started unions, That will not change. I have the ability to enforse my own rights without the need to pay dues, however I have great respect for any Union trained HVAC man or woman, I just choose a different path.

  8. #47
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    GTA, ON
    Posts
    1,164
    Quote Originally Posted by zw17 View Post
    And some people wonder why unions are still alive and well...
    I was waiting to hear from you on this topic, but I don't disagree with you, especially when I hear about employers like this one The OP can always handle the situation the Canadian way - find another job, give these bums 2 weeks notice and never look back. No matter how bad an employer is, he'll find suckers who need to eat. No matter how good an employee is, a bad employer can still kill his reputation (another one for the unions lol) For that reason, don't burn bridges, don't goof off over the last couple of weeks, don't get into a shouting match with'em or sling insults. A civilized letter stating that you are leaving because of their overtime policy and non-service call pay policy, wish them the best of luck and forget about'em would not be out of place. If they try to entice you back with a raise after you already accepted a job offer from another shop, don't do it. You do that, you get labeled a shop-hopper and you will become your old boss' *****. Fortunately, I've learned that lesson from other people's mistakes, not on my own skin.

  9. #48
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southeastern Pa
    Posts
    16,995
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonrunner View Post
    I was waiting to hear from you on this topic, but I don't disagree with you, especially when I hear about employers like this one The OP can always handle the situation the Canadian way - find another job, give these bums 2 weeks notice and never look back. No matter how bad an employer is, he'll find suckers who need to eat. No matter how good an employee is, a bad employer can still kill his reputation (another one for the unions lol) For that reason, don't burn bridges, don't goof off over the last couple of weeks, don't get into a shouting match with'em or sling insults. A civilized letter stating that you are leaving because of their overtime policy and non-service call pay policy, wish them the best of luck and forget about'em would not be out of place. If they try to entice you back with a raise after you already accepted a job offer from another shop, don't do it. You do that, you get labeled a shop-hopper and you will become your old boss' *****. Fortunately, I've learned that lesson from other people's mistakes, not on my own skin.
    In fact, I would have a paralegal write the letter for you.

    That way, there will be nothing you say to them that will impeach you or your reputation, later.






    Plus, it will scare the cr*p out of them.
    [Avatar photo from a Florida training accident. Everyone walked away.]
    2 Tim 3:16-17

    RSES CMS, HVAC Electrical Specialist

    AOP Forum Rules:







  10. #49
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Mukwonago, WI
    Posts
    234
    My company we work 40 hours strait time in 1 week mon-fri (doesn't matter if its 10 hours one day and 6 the next)
    you have two options. for unapproved overtime. either work 40 hours and be done, or bank you hours over 40.

    For approved overtime, starts at 4pm on weekdays (time and a half) time and a half on saturdays, double on sundays and holidays

  11. #50
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southeastern Pa
    Posts
    16,995
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller257 View Post
    My company we work 40 hours strait time in 1 week mon-fri (doesn't matter if its 10 hours one day and 6 the next)
    you have two options. for unapproved overtime. either work 40 hours and be done, or bank you hours over 40.

    For approved overtime, starts at 4pm on weekdays (time and a half) time and a half on saturdays, double on sundays and holidays
    Are you saying it is legal to bank hours in Wisconsin?
    [Avatar photo from a Florida training accident. Everyone walked away.]
    2 Tim 3:16-17

    RSES CMS, HVAC Electrical Specialist

    AOP Forum Rules:







  12. #51
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    up in the hizzy
    Posts
    1,285
    Quote Originally Posted by timebuilder View Post
    Are you saying it is legal to bank hours in Wisconsin?
    The federal law (FLSA) allows employers to bank employees hours for just one work week, paid time off in lieu of overtime is allowed at the same rate of time and a half, meaning if you work 10 hours over 40 you employer can send you home with 15 hours PTO but it all most happen withing the same work week, hard to accomplish IMO.
    Individual states can only change federal law for the betterment of the worker.
    Know you rights and dont let them cheat you! if you choose to be a doormat they walk on you.

  13. #52
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    18
    A few years back I worked for an electrical contractor in California, which was headquartered out of state. They didn't feel that they needed to pay overtime past 8 and doubletime past 12. I counted it as money in the bank. Eventually one of the employees got disgruntled and called the California Labor Board. An investigator audited all our time cards and I got a nice fat check. I imagine the company also paid penalties to the state for failing to comply with labor regulations.

    In this current economic crunch, I imagine that the state is willing to send investigators out if they can then levy fines on employers. Don't give up hope about the labor board, but expect to lose your job if you make the call. Wait till you have another job lined up.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event