Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bsmith816 View Post
    I have also seen more than I normally do that actually blow up inside the unit and go everywhere. Anyone else seen that lately?
    yes blown apart like a grenade

I have also seen more than I normally do that actually blow up inside the unit and go everywhere. Anyone else seen that lately?
    Fortunately, the ones this year so far for me are just swollen, or leaking a little. I've only had to deal with the fully exploded ones a couple times...Thankfully. What a mess!

Tons here also. I don't mind them nice easy calls especially last one in the evening when you're dragging.

Yea me too I'd take capacitor calls all day long and we are getting alot too. I actually had to put on two hard starts in one day havent had that happen before.

could be quality controle too.chines, mexico, and USA
    a stupid question is a question you wont to ask, but don't

So now you guys up north see what those of us who work in areas where it is normally 100 every day in the summer have been dealing with for a number of years now!

Run capacitors have been our #1 summer failure item for years, easily a more common failure than all other items combined.

The presence of a start kit in the unit doesn't seem to make any difference in the failure rate of the run capacitors.
    It just seems like it does because a failed run cap in a unit that has a start kit doesn't generate an immediate service call. The compressor still starts, and the system still cools, just not as efficiently.
    I find a bunch of bad run caps in units that have start kits every spring when I'm doing cooling check ups, and in the case of heat pumps, every fall when doing heating checks.

Blower motor run capacitors are also becoming problematic. They don't completely fail nearly as often as compressor run caps, but since I got in the habit of checking them every time I am doing any work on the indoor unit, I've found a very high percentage of them to be weak.

For replacements, I try to only use AmRad capacitors that are made in the USA, or the Mars "made in Mexico" ones in a pinch.
    Most of the other Mexican made brands of capacitors, and literally every single brand of Chinese made capacitors, are garbage.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    So now you guys up north see what those of us who work in areas where it is normally 100 every day in the summer have been dealing with for a number of years now!

Run capacitors have been our #1 summer failure item for years, easily a more common failure than all other items combined.

The presence of a start kit in the unit doesn't seem to make any difference in the failure rate of the run capacitors.
    It just seems like it does because a failed run cap in a unit that has a start kit doesn't generate an immediate service call. The compressor still starts, and the system still cools, just not as efficiently.
    I find a bunch of bad run caps in units that have start kits every spring when I'm doing cooling check ups, and in the case of heat pumps, every fall when doing heating checks.

Blower motor run capacitors are also becoming problematic. They don't completely fail nearly as often as compressor run caps, but since I got in the habit of checking them every time I am doing any work on the indoor unit, I've found a very high percentage of them to be weak.

For replacements, I try to only use AmRad capacitors that are made in the USA, or the Mars "made in Mexico" ones in a pinch.
    Most of the other Mexican made brands of capacitors, and literally every single brand of Chinese made capacitors, are garbage.
    That's wild, I'll have to start paying attention to the manufacturer of the failed ones, admittedly, I have not. I have always used Mars caps since that is what my trusted supplier sells. I guess good thing as it turns out that they do. (I'll look into AmRad too and see who sells them around here)

Blower caps, I have not been seeing a ton of failure there yet, but then again, by the time I get there, the motor is already toast, so that's a generalization and of course I have to replace that cap too with the motor...But so far, this year, not a ton of blower motor failures.

Thanks for the heads up, I plan to start checking the blower caps on tune ups going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie1KRR View Post
    I have always used Mars caps since that is what my trusted supplier sells.
    Just watch out for the Mars2 brand, they are made in China, and are among the worst there are.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Here's one less than a year old. Blew crap everywhere.

I've found no difference in longevity between 370 & 440 v. caps. If they're from China, or a GE more than 5 years old it's going to fail sooner than later.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

gottta love the one made in taiwan illinois , or in mexico illinois

It was actually worse for us last year. It was so bad supply houses were out. We were having to stack 2 and even 3 together at times. I stockpiled this winter, I wont be stacking them again! I also order nothing but 440

Im with Mark. AmRad is my first pick then Mars if I cant get AmRad. May be just in my head but the AmRad feels heavier??

A friend of mine owned his own heating and cooling company for years and then started working at a supply house. He quit that supply house and started up a different one. He has capacitors stacked up. The good high temp 440. Thank god for someone at a supply house that has actually worked in the field. I know where to find that 35-5 when nobody else has it!

Hardly any pass a under load test, most are 3 micro fared under then.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast