+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Capacitors! Yikes!

Post Likes

Capacitors! Yikes!

Thirty plus years and I have never come near replacing this many run caps in a season! I think in the past three weeks 75% of my calls have been blown caps in condensing units. Unfortunately that's about all that is blowing.

All I can figure is it's the power company dropping back the voltage during these 100 degree days.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Glennhvac View Post
    Thirty plus years and I have never come near replacing this many run caps in a season! I think in the past three weeks 75% of my calls have been blown caps in condensing units. Unfortunately that's about all that is blowing.

All I can figure is it's the power company dropping back the voltage during these 100 degree days.
    same thing here, has to be something going on with the voltage.

most of the caps are 10-15 yrs old so its not just a cheap chinese cap problem.

went through so many 35-5s i had trouble getting them.

Post Likes
    Could it be the record heat driving head pressures through the roof?

Post Likes
    Same thing here, and my brother and other HVAC buddy are all saying the same thing.

I've replaced more caps already this year than I think I normally do over a 5 year span or more.

Post Likes
    caps are going out everytwhere. And it's not just the cheap chinese ones. The mexican ones are too

Post Likes
    Ok so if you used 440s in place of 370s that should give you more of a buffer when these people experience power problems.

Post Likes
    And almost all are in units with no start components which is not that uncommon today. I wonder if these things are blowing when the compressor starts up or while running.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Six View Post
    Ok so if you used 440s in place of 370s that should give you more of a buffer when these people experience power problems.
    Ever since I posted a question regarding this that's all I buy now if possible. 440.

Post Likes
    seems like i see alot of low on charge or dirty condensor with my blown cap.....
    i have been trying to install 5 2 1's with my run caps.... just to see if it helps.... i many never know though

Post Likes
    I've ran into same thing here. I have replaced at least 8 caps a day for the past 6 weeks straight. Most of them are 35/5 and 40/5. Also changed plenty of fan motors. It's gotten to the point I carry a 35/5 40/5 and 45/5 in my bag

Post Likes
    I believe heat is the main killer. For sure the ones that bulge out on top.

Post Likes
    My motor supplier says it's caps made in China.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    I have also seen more than I normally do that actually blow up inside the unit and go everywhere. Anyone else seen that lately?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bsmith816 View Post
    I have also seen more than I normally do that actually blow up inside the unit and go everywhere. Anyone else seen that lately?
    yes blown apart like a grenade

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bsmith816 View Post
    Fortunately, the ones this year so far for me are just swollen, or leaking a little. I've only had to deal with the fully exploded ones a couple times...Thankfully. What a mess!

Post Likes
    Tons here also. I don't mind them nice easy calls especially last one in the evening when you're dragging.

Post Likes
    Yea me too I'd take capacitor calls all day long and we are getting alot too. I actually had to put on two hard starts in one day havent had that happen before.

Post Likes
    could be quality controle too.chines, mexico, and USA
    a stupid question is a question you wont to ask, but don't

Post Likes
    So now you guys up north see what those of us who work in areas where it is normally 100º every day in the summer have been dealing with for a number of years now!

Run capacitors have been our #1 summer failure item for years, easily a more common failure than all other items combined.

The presence of a start kit in the unit doesn't seem to make any difference in the failure rate of the run capacitors.
    It just seems like it does because a failed run cap in a unit that has a start kit doesn't generate an immediate service call. The compressor still starts, and the system still cools, just not as efficiently.
    I find a bunch of bad run caps in units that have start kits every spring when I'm doing cooling check ups, and in the case of heat pumps, every fall when doing heating checks.

Blower motor run capacitors are also becoming problematic. They don't completely fail nearly as often as compressor run caps, but since I got in the habit of checking them every time I am doing any work on the indoor unit, I've found a very high percentage of them to be weak.

For replacements, I try to only use AmRad capacitors that are made in the USA, or the Mars "made in Mexico" ones in a pinch.
    Most of the other Mexican made brands of capacitors, and literally every single brand of Chinese made capacitors, are garbage.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    So now you guys up north see what those of us who work in areas where it is normally 100º every day in the summer have been dealing with for a number of years now!

Run capacitors have been our #1 summer failure item for years, easily a more common failure than all other items combined.

The presence of a start kit in the unit doesn't seem to make any difference in the failure rate of the run capacitors.
    It just seems like it does because a failed run cap in a unit that has a start kit doesn't generate an immediate service call. The compressor still starts, and the system still cools, just not as efficiently.
    I find a bunch of bad run caps in units that have start kits every spring when I'm doing cooling check ups, and in the case of heat pumps, every fall when doing heating checks.

Blower motor run capacitors are also becoming problematic. They don't completely fail nearly as often as compressor run caps, but since I got in the habit of checking them every time I am doing any work on the indoor unit, I've found a very high percentage of them to be weak.

For replacements, I try to only use AmRad capacitors that are made in the USA, or the Mars "made in Mexico" ones in a pinch.
    Most of the other Mexican made brands of capacitors, and literally every single brand of Chinese made capacitors, are garbage.
    That's wild, I'll have to start paying attention to the manufacturer of the failed ones, admittedly, I have not. I have always used Mars caps since that is what my trusted supplier sells. I guess good thing as it turns out that they do. (I'll look into AmRad too and see who sells them around here)

Blower caps, I have not been seeing a ton of failure there yet, but then again, by the time I get there, the motor is already toast, so that's a generalization and of course I have to replace that cap too with the motor...But so far, this year, not a ton of blower motor failures.

Thanks for the heads up, I plan to start checking the blower caps on tune ups going forward.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in