Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Likes

High pressure switch

What could cause a high pressure switch to trip when the unit hasn't run in 6 days. Unit was running fine for the whole summer. Homeowner says he shut it off 6 days ago. Turns it on today and the condenser wouldn't start. It's a ducane with a manual reset high pressure switch. Is it possible for it to trip if it's not running?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BPToilman View Post
    What could cause a high pressure switch to trip when the unit hasn't run in 6 days. Unit was running fine for the whole summer. Homeowner says he shut it off 6 days ago. Turns it on today and the condenser wouldn't start. It's a ducane with a manual reset high pressure switch. Is it possible for it to trip if it's not running?
    So have you looked at the unit yet? If not I would ask, how does the home owner know its the switch? Also ditch the manual switch and hook em up with a auto one, they are cheap enough....

Post Likes
    I reset the switch. I looked at it this afternoon. Funny thing is, it hasn't been hot here. Not humid and I know the unit hasn't run.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecker head View Post
    ditch the manual switch and hook em up with a auto one, they are cheap enough....
    Auto high pressure?
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". -Vernon Law-

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

"To face tragedy is the greatest challenge; to overcome tragedy is the greatest success" -Ranal Currie-

Post Likes
    Lol!! I second mr Bills post! Why not do one better and just bypass the hp switch!! That'll solve your problem.. It's only a safety ...

You reset the switch and then wat??? What readings did you get??

Post Likes
    Sounds like a DIY to me wrong page buddy.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BPToilman View Post

A couple things cn cause what your describing. Most likely it did run(for a few seconds), and then the HPS tripped.
    Need to take pressure nd temp readings to find out the cause of the high pressure.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    Not a do it yourself buddy. It was 9:30 at night. No pressure readings. Didn't know if it was possible for pressures to spike on the start like that after it had run fun and there wasn't a heavy load on the unit.

Post Likes
    They can, seen it on more then one.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    Looks like the txv is sticking. I had a high side pressure of 390 and a suction line pressure of 125. 80 degrees out here today. I couldnt see the pressures fluctuate at all.

Post Likes
    dirty coil, over charged, oil logging in condenser, no fan.....

Post Likes
    what do you mean txv is sticking? looks like r410a? those pressures look like the valve is open to me.

80* ambient and 390 hi side???

dirty coil or over charged

Post Likes
    I would think that with the pressure that high it would be closed, or stuck half way open? I know the coil is clean. It is 410

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast