Thread: Help: Waning confidence in brand new Rheem Classic

Post Likes

Unhappy Help: Waning confidence in brand new Rheem Classic

Hi, all. We just spent money ($$$) that we really don't have on a brand new upstairs heat pump unit and blower. (old unit was 18 years old and had a leak, so...) We bought a Rheem Classic RPNL031JAZ+RHLLHM3617JA 2.5 Ton 13 SEER Heat Pump Split Air Conditioner.

At first, the blower was set so high that in our master bedroom it sounded like wind through a slightly open window in a speeding car . Also wasn't cooling to temp (though I'll admit we've had record heat indices) and wasn't dehumidifying the air well at all.

A/c man came out and adjusted the blower downward (slower), but since it's a variable speed motor, now it alternates WHOOSH-woosh-WOOSH-woosh -- as if above-mentioned car was going 60 mph then 20 then 60 then 20....and still not good enough cooling or dehumidification.

The manufacturer's rep came today with the company that installed it. They say that an additional outlet in the master bedroom and "a piece in the attic" (piece of ductwork?) will fix it. I guess that then spreads out the load of blown air so it doesn't blow so hard?

but will the dehumidification be any better? I don't care to only quiet the noise; I want better performance.

Ashley
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 07-26-2012 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Pricing

Post Likes
    Please remove prices not allowed here; BTW seems awfully low price which is probably the problem.

I am not a Rheem fan but do not blame the equipment this all goes to the quality of the install and the installer.

On the surface this all appers to be due to inadequate ductwork and or oversized equipment. Further the refrigerant charge is wrong because the airflow is not correct.

The rep is possibly doing his best while not trying to put the contractor in a bid situaton.

Post Likes

thanks for response!

ok. thanks. I'll try to edit/remove $$. I think you're reading the situation correctly. I just don't know how to back my way out, as they already have my $ and I have their unit.

Do I have a better chance of asking for them to remove it and refund me and then I'll go with another contractor, or should I ask them to remove and replace with one of their own (OTHER) brands?

What they're *wanting* to do is jerry rig the ductwork to make it work. Of course, this will need to be at no cost to us because that new ductwork should have been in original estimate....right?

Ashley

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ashweb View Post
    ok. thanks. I'll try to edit/remove $$. I think you're reading the situation correctly. I just don't know how to back my way out, as they already have my $ and I have their unit.

Do I have a better chance of asking for them to remove it and refund me and then I'll go with another contractor, or should I ask them to remove and replace with one of their own (OTHER) brands?

What they're *wanting* to do is jerry rig the ductwork to make it work. Of course, this will need to be at no cost to us because that new ductwork should have been in original estimate....right?

Ashley
    Ultimately no one on this or any forum can make a reasoned recommendation because we are not there to see both sides.

As to who should pay for ductwork modifications again we are not privy to what was discussed or promised either verbally or on paper.

Did they replace the equipment with the same capacity as previous equipment or increase the capacity. I am not familiar with Rheem furnaces but most brands have Variable speed furnaces with airflow capacities good for 2-ton to 3-ton and 3.5-ton to 5-tons of cooling.

It is possible they installed too large a furnaces/air handler but the condenser is properly sized. Too much air across the evaporator coil at too high a velocity will greatly reduce humidity removal.

Your best option is to find a skilled contractor to evaluate your home and system have them right a report with recommendations and cost then present it to your current contractor and the tech rep.

Post Likes

Skilled contractor

[QUOTE=

It is possible they installed too large a furnaces/air handler but the condenser is properly sized. Too much air across the evaporator coil at too high a velocity will greatly reduce humidity removal.

Your best option is to find a skilled contractor to evaluate your home and system have them right a report with recommendations and cost then present it to your current contractor and the tech rep.[/QUOTE]

you are right about the above. Same size unit at /.5 but a souped up newer motor and too much air rushing through and not dehumidified.

Could I find a skilled contractor to do a report who doesn't sell units and would just proper a completely different system?

Ashley

Post Likes
    That is a fixed speed high efficiency motor, Genteq's X13. Likely have an issue with duct sizing and design. I don't believe the brand has anything to blame here as that motor is used by about everyone.

The key is running just under 1000 CFM for your 2.5 ton HP. On a restrictive duct system, that's high setting. On a good duct system, which is rare, that's low. We've had no complaints on the RHLL and have used quite a few. Only complaint like yours was a conventional air handler of another brand that was oversized. We played with the ducting enough to quiet it down.

If you are concerned with humidity, that air handler has the on demand dehumidify feature that works with a humidistat or high end thermostat to reduce the blower speed a bit when humidity is above setpoint.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in