EPR on a Heat Pump?

What do you guys think of this? I worked on a unit close by with its own issues. This is on a medium sized commercial building. I didnt even want to look at it, until they ask me to...
    EPR, 5 ton 13 seer 208/1 Heat Pump. Coil most likely a 5ton fixed orifice. Messed up line sizes, 5/8 liquid, 1 1/8 suction.. Again gulp, 125' + of lineset, yes I know a txv is required..
    Without even looking, or being asked to look at it, I feel it probably has a clogged screen at the orifice, poor piping design, and mix matched coil/condenser seer ratings, plus requires a txv, when a orifice is being used.

I'm basing these conclusions on the unit I worked on nearby. I expect the pictured unit to fail soon, which will get thrown onto one of our guys.

Unless they used the EPR to solve a oversizing issue is all I can think of,

I would love to check that out and find out what their rationale was for installing that.

It ran all 8 hours I was there, without stopping! lol

Please excuse my ignorance but what is an EPR?
    A people who would exchange liberty for apparent safety, will deserve neither and lose both.

Evaporator Pressure Regulator.

Typically they're are used on refrigeration equipment where you would have multiple evaporators and multiple liquid lines with dedicated solenoid valves to cycle each section off and on.

They're supposed to keep an evaporator from going below a predetermined pressure and apparently it was some hacks attempt at solving a chronic icing problem.

worked well didnt it

Quote Originally Posted by Six View Post
    Evaporator Pressure Regulator.

Typically they're are used on refrigeration equipment where you would have multiple evaporators and multiple liquid lines with dedicated solenoid valves to cycle each section off and on.

They're supposed to keep an evaporator from going below a predetermined pressure and apparently it was some hacks attempt at solving a chronic icing problem.

worked well didnt it
    LOL Ok, I get it now, thanks for the info.
    A people who would exchange liberty for apparent safety, will deserve neither and lose both.

Clogged screen at the orifice? That would cause higher than normal superheat, that looks like frost after the EPR, if it is then that means that there is liquid refrigerant reaching the EPR indicating low superheat.
    In my neck of the woods to most people "Maintenance" equals cursing at and/or kicking something when it breaks down.

To get the degree symbol ° on Windows hold down the Alt key and type 0176 on the keyboard number pad. It is also available via the character map, and on Windows 8.1 devices with a touchscreen via the on screen keyboard.

If you are the type where the painting is more important than the frame, or you just like movies, join me in listening to the widescreen.org podcast.