+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 638B to 638A

Post Likes

638B to 638A

Hi everyone,

Was wondering (to anyone in steamfitters 638A NYC) is it possible to switch or join 638A from B?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'll do whatever it takes. Hard worker. Responsible. Will not let noone down.

Thnks

Post Likes
    I think the B-Side is HVACR Techs. If I'm not mistaken A-Side (Construction) is Steam/Pipefitters & Pipe Welders. HVACR Tech Jm is a lower scale than Construction Jm. UA Service is last, especially HVACR Service. 638B makes this a proven fact! Time to vote Service up as co-equal with Construction.

Post Likes
    I think you have to be in the B side for ten years for your time to transfer over to the A side. Otherwise its lost.

Post Likes
    I have heard it has been done. It's very hard to get it done when there are people on the bench. The scenerio I have heard about is a contractor in good standing with the B local wants to sign up as an A shop as well and asks for a couple of cards for his top guys. A agrees as long as the contractor promises to keep the guys employed and out of the hall.
    There is no "if you do this you then get an A card".Just an FYI - the A guys have very little respect for B guys.

Post Likes
    A guys are sitting on each other laps on that bench in LIC,why would you give up your independence as a B guy to get into the A side job politics...are you a journeyman in B?.if you are,your not transferring B-journeyman($36.30)to A-($50.75)journeyman overnight unless your related to one of the BAs thru name or marrige
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

6. Likes hevysrf liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Maxter is absolutely right. If you are a B guy and you do whatever it takes you will never be out of a job. If you're an A guy you spend a lot of time calling A shops for work. The politics are unbelievable. If you're not a proven supporter of the BA in the area where there is work you never get recommended for a job. There are also health issues to consider. IIRC someone told me the average A guy collects 6 months of pension.

Post Likes
    the two sides are as different as B is to non-union shops...total different mind set and work ethics.knew a tech who was B lead mint breakdowns/start-ups then went A thru an "uncle bunky"in the company who did Citi Field.during a big Trump job he floated up to the roof to see the HVAC mechanical techs stumped on a rooftop...he showed then 2-3 tricks and bang it was up and running.they go back to the Sm and rave about the A guy who helped and "guy was sharp".they sit this dude down offer him work as a service guy and keeps his A book....he wanted more money then a journeyman A guy makes $$$$ at that time(he was one)....he disappeared asap...as in out the door.goodbye...you have to be kidding from the construction bosses.

Post Likes
    how about this an A guy going into B side had one back in 2001 what a lump of of S*** he was,and bossy with all the techs he talked his way thru repairs constantly ordering parts to get off the job

Post Likes
    Hey guys thanks for the insight and replies.

Carbon
    Maxter is absolutely right. If you are a B guy and you do whatever it takes you will never be out of a job. If you're an A guy you spend a lot of time calling A shops for work. The politics are unbelievable. If you're not a proven supporter of the BA in the area where there is work you never get recommended for a job. There are also health issues to consider. IIRC someone told me the average A guy collects 6 months of pension.

Is that a proven fact that you spend a lot of time calling A shops? There are health issues as well with service HVAC. Every job has there goods and bads. I'm just trying to provide for my family a little better living in Long Island. As a Journeyman I can barely live in Long Island. I hope you guys can understand someone trying to better themselves for the sake of their kids and family. Just don't want you guys to get the wrong idea.

Maxster

A guys are sitting on each other laps on that bench in LIC,why would you give up your independence as a B guy to get into the A side job politics...are you a journeyman in B?.if you are,your not transferring B-journeyman($36.30)to A-($50.75)journeyman overnight unless your related to one of the BAs thru name or marrige
    07-26-2012 02:48 PM
    I'm not looking to be A- Journeyman. I'm just looking to get in somewhere around the Journeyman B wage. Even if its a couple dollars less I'll take it.
    Give someone a chance.

Post Likes
    Now I'm at a loss. I thought 638A was Construction - Steam/Pipefitters and Pipe Welders. I don't know of there's any Construction HVACR shops signed on. I thought 638B was Service which is basically only HVACR. I believe Service Plumbers belong to a totally different Local. Anyway, you guys are making 638 seem more and more messed up.

Post Likes
    these guys are local 1 on the plumbing side the service is 638B www.par-group.com there is no other unions in LIC hall only A/B there are more guys out in A then B unless you know somebody your not going to get in...are you a B journeyman at scale right now or what apprentice level in yrs... http://www.nyspipetrades.org/

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MechanicallyInclined View Post
    Now I'm at a loss. I thought 638A was Construction - Steam/Pipefitters and Pipe Welders. I don't know of there's any Construction HVACR shops signed on. I thought 638B was Service which is basically only HVACR. I believe Service Plumbers belong to a totally different Local. Anyway, you guys are making 638 seem more and more messed up.
    Confusing? Naha. If you're a B guy and you work for a shop that is not an International signatory you can pipe in a unit up to 10 tons. If your shop is signed with the International,which means you can work in different juristictions (ie if you're in NYC you can work in Jersey and Westchester) then you can't even pipe in a 1 ton unit, unless you have a service contract with the company you're doing the work for.
    So if you are with a shop that is signed with the International and you get a job to install a one ton unit,you have to use A guys. Ever see an A guy solder a 1" pipe? Embarrassing.

Post Likes
    when the Palisades Mall (Nyack) was built off EXIT14 off the NY Thruway I-87,the entire place was split systems.the juridiction over lapped between 638(LIC) and 21(Peekskill) on the pipe ups.heard a major contractor out of NYC was almost arrested with the threats going on up there.heard the place is a nightmare to service with the evaps in the spaces and a sea of condensers after trucking around to the back to access the roof..and like said A fitters torching refer lines and doing vac test and charging...

Post Likes
    So there's no Construction HVACR shops signed on to 638A? Are you saying Steam/Pipefitters were installing HVACR equipment?!

Post Likes
    Sad to say yes. A guys and tin knockers.

Post Likes
    i was on a major start up years ago in mid town Manhattan Trane SWUDs 90 units total.the sheet metal guys claimed the panels on the units as i went to start them up,and the fitters claimed the condenser water gate valves...the factory sent the units in with a solinoid to signal air to the dampers on the unit....there was no neutral on the 3 phase SWUDs the local #3 electricans claimed it and called for an extra but couldn't move the valve cause the fitters claimed the tubes connected.they wrote a book about the building...638B walking in starting up the job and the installing trades being pushed out you want to hear a bunch of grow men ***** up a storm....tooo bad http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bertelsmann_Building

Post Likes
    holly cow! sucks to work down your way, here we get along just fine, there are no "A" or "B"

Post Likes
    Steamfitters/Pipefitters and Pipe Welders have nothing to do with trickling nitrogen thru, brazing, leak checking, evacuating and charging AC/R lines.
    As far as everything else, that's why non-Union complain about timelines as far getting things done.

Post Likes
    fitters here do any and all copper on new construction,air,freon,water,medical gases...on and on..they also do vac testing with the other end with nitro pressure testing to engineer job specs.they also torch the hell out of service valves on compressors on split air cooled chillers

Post Likes
    Can anyone tell me how it works if you are not in the union but you get hired by a 638B shop? Do you have to take The UA star test or can they just make you a Journeyman and you buy your book?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in