Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Johnson controls

Does Johnson controls hire guys on too learn. I'm a 5 year light comm /refer tech that wants to go industrial. Tried the other mfgs. All said I'm unqualified. Are they a good place to work?

Sorry to all I posted before looking two threads down to see that someone had just posted about this.

The difference being is that the OP in that thread is seeking a position with JCI FM which is different than the truck based service fleet (a combination of the old JCI and York service). I can speak for no one else, but I wouldn't work for JCI (now) on a bet. If you can get on with them and there is someone in the local office who is good at what they do then things might work out. From what I see and hear from others is too many talented York mechanics left. I retired before the acquisition and went to work for JCI in 2008. I didn't like it there. Didn't like the culture...didn't like the arrogance. Left in 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by KnewYork View Post
    The difference being is that the OP in that thread is seeking a position with JCI FM which is different than the truck based service fleet (a combination of the old JCI and York service). I can speak for no one else, but I wouldn't work for JCI (now) on a bet. If you can get on with them and there is someone in the local office who is good at what they do then things might work out. From what I see and hear from others is too many talented York mechanics left. I retired before the acquisition and went to work for JCI in 2008. I didn't like it there. Didn't like the culture...didn't like the arrogance. Left in 2010.
    JC Building Efficiency is all business related to buildings. Controls manufacturing, Systems & Service, Global Workplace Solutions, etc.

The Service part of Systems & Service is mechanical, automation and fire & security systems repair, maintenance and retrofit services. The Systems part is automation or fire & security systems installation during the construction phase. This is referred to as Systems & Service - North America (SSNA) in the U.S. and Canada

JC Facilities Maintenance (FM) is Global Workplace Solutions (GWS) within the U.S.

This how it used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by cavalieri85 View Post
    Does Johnson controls hire guys on too learn. I'm a 5 year light comm /refer tech that wants to go industrial. Tried the other mfgs. All said I'm unqualified. Are they a good place to work?
    What do you mean by "light" comm/refer? When you say "Johnson Controls hire guys on too learn", I'm assuming you would like to go into HVAC. I'm not aware if Johnson Controls deals with comm/refer. Depending on your answer to the "light" question, I would try and take a step into commercial HVAC. Instead of jumping from "light" comm/refer to big industrial chillers, absorbers, and centrifugals and all that other fun vapor compression style chillers. YEAAAAAAA. I would suggest trying to get into commercial. Then from there get your feet wet, make some friends on the industrial side and shmooooooz your way in. MY 2 cents. Good Luck =)

You may want to ask about a Serviceman i.e. 80% of Service Journeyman, position. In a lot of markets it's still good pay, sometimes even more than a non-Union guy with 10 years experience.

all i can say is that in my last year of CLOSE experience with the local jci office is that there are a lot of skilled mechanics here. its hard to get into the heavy side of things due to the mechanics having those certain accounts for quite some time. but they wont be around forever. i cant speak for all of the branches but ours has some damm good guys.
    I dont install leaks, i just fix em

Sig line removed by Admin*

Lets see if this gets removed..............

johnson does take care of commercial light commercial applications via their national accounts teams.

JC National Service Organization is no more. I was in it from start to finish. Good accounts at first JC Penney, Sears, etc. When an annual chiller service was scheduled, the branch office wouldn't let us borrow the tube machine or any other chiller service tools.

maybe for your office, but we still have jcpenny and a few other accounts....

By light comm/refer I meant I do light commercial have and refrigeration company I work for does almost every restaurant in town and we even do hot side work. They want me to be jack of all trades and master of none. Exciting cuse I never know what the next call will be but not what I envisioned for my career. I really just want to do hvac not the rest of the stuff.

There's plenty of guys who cuss JCI, and there's even a few out there who bleed blue. I guess I'm kind of in the middle. I've put in 5 years with them, and I certainly don't bleed blue, and the cooperate thing gets very old to deal with all the time. But, having said that, at least in my situation, overall it's as good or better than any other local company in town... actually better if you're willing to put in the effort.

I didn't have much but resi experience when I was hired, now I'd say I'm pretty well versed in most commercial things. I haven't worked on much real big stuff, 400hp boilers, and 500 ton chillers, and smaller. I can honestly say I work on a bit of everything, from a blood centrifuge to big chillers, installing minisplits and rtu's, boilers, etc. They have sent me to some training, and I did learn quite a bit when I was working with some other guys. Since then they've mostly moved on and sadly I have the most seniority in my remote branch. The 2 other guys I work with have around the same experience as I do, give or take. We all have our niches, and seem to work together well.

Seems like each branch is almost like a completely different company as far as how it's ran (with the exception of the cooperate BS, that's everywhere lol). The one in your area could either be great, or terrible. If you're wanting to get more into the commercial side of things, I certainly don't think it'd be terrible to get into JCI. They have a lot of online training, and you can build your connections. Maybe you'll love it and be a life'er, or you'll get tired of it and move on, but it'll get your feet wet that's for sure.
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

Their dispatcher called me on my personal cell phone number, used my name, and asked me if I was available to take a service call 2 months after I quit.

...LOL...
    The key to happiness is lower expectations.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast